[News] A Look at the Fedora-based OLPC and Fedora 8

  • Subject: [News] A Look at the Fedora-based OLPC and Fedora 8
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:53:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hands-on with One Laptop Per Child's XO

,----[ Quote ]
| There's been quite a fuss made over the XO, developed by Nicholas
| Negroponte's One Laptop Per Child (OLPC). The OLPC vision was to design a
| low-cost, but powerful connected PC in order to provide kids all over the
| world with Internet power. OLPC wants to sell the XO in bulk to third-world
| countries.

Fedora 8 released: there's life in the red hat yet

,----[ Quote ]
| If you want to try a mature, no-frills Linux distro then Fedora is your
| ticket. Give it a chance and let us know if you like it.

Uruguay buys first $100 laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| The first official order for the so-called "$100 laptop" has been placed by
| the government of Uruguay.

OLPC developing new 'supercharger'

,----[ Quote ]
| The XO batteries do not work on normal laptops, which can sap up to 40 watts
| of power depending on usage, Jepsen said.
| The XO is also the first laptop that uses only alternative energy, Jepsen
| said. Low-cost solar panels are great as a power option where there is plenty
| of sunlight, Jepsen said. Energy is especially scare in developing nations,
| so the laptop will hopefully pass on energy preservation lessons, which could
| help preserve battery life in the XO, Jepsen said.

LATU Uruguay Buying 100,000 OLPC XO's Over Classmate PC!!

,----[ Quote ]
| We now have the results from the first open competition for government
| purchases of laptops designed for 1:1 implementation in public schools, the
| Ceibal Uruguay RFP.

$100 laptop program still eyes India

,----[ Quote ]
| The so-called $100 laptops for children may make it to India after all.

Danish school kid's verdict on the OLPC laptop: It's cool!

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think we could make good use of it in my class," said Karl Emil as he
| tries to grab the XO from us in order to take it to school the following day.

'$100 laptop' production begins

,----[ Quote ]
| Hardware suppliers have been given the green light to ramp-up production of
| all of the components needed to build millions of the low-cost machines.
| Previously, the organisation behind the scheme said that it required orders
| for 3m laptops to make production viable. The first machines should be ready
| to put into the hands of children in developing countries in October 2007.

Uruguay Children Try Low-Cost Laptops

| Some children began warming to the computers by playing "Tetris," a
| popular falling-blocks puzzle video game. Later they will explore
| the Linux operating system.

Villa Cardal, Uruguay: Center of worldwide attention

,----[ Quote ]
| The experience was incredible, there are many details to comment
| that I promise to continue blogging in the next days. At the moment
| you can see the gallery of photos that I took in the place.

Kids In Jiri Love XO [One Laptop per Child]!

,----[ Quote ]