[News] [Rival] Hard Drives Exploit Windows' Weaknesses

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Hard Drives Exploit Windows' Weaknesses
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 06:38:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Bureau warns on tainted discs

,----[ Quote ]
| Around 1,800 of the portable Maxtor hard discs, produced in Thailand, carried
| two Trojan horse viruses: autorun.inf and ghost.pif, the bureau under the
| Ministry of Justice said.
`----

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2007/11/11/2003387202

Not the first such incident. The same goes for USB drives (big issue in voting
machines and possibly the cause of colossal information thefts).

Related:

Boot virus shipped on German laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| According to German sources, anywhere between 10,000 and 100,000 systems may
| be infected...
`----

http://www.virusbtn.com/news/2007/09_14.xml

USB flash drive worm arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| The LiarVB-A worm hunts for removable drives such as floppy disks and
| USB memory sticks and then creates a hidden file called autorun.inf to
| ensure a copy of the worm is run the next time it is connected to a
| Windows PC.

Hackers debut malware loaded USB ruse

,----[ Quote ]
| Malware purveyors deliberately left USB sticks loaded with a Trojan
| in a London car park in a bid to trick users into getting infected.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/25/usb_malware/

Security Experts Warn of a Worm Creeping into PCs Via USB Ports

,----[ Quote ]
| Security Experts at MicroWorld Technologies has warned of increased
| occurrences of a Worm with Trojan potentials, which has been
| infecting Enterprise systems and home PCs for the past two weeks.
`----

http://www.spywarehunter.org/entry/security-experts-warn-of-a-worm-creeping-into-pcs-via-usb-ports/

Spyware infection prompts McDonalds MP3 recall

,----[ Quote ]
| Users who connected the McDonalds-branded MP3 player to their
| Windows PC were exposed to spyware code programmed to transmit
| their web passwords and other sensitive information to hackers.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/16/mcd_spyware_mp3_recall/

How can I get valuable documents off a virus-infected flash drive?

,----[ Quote ]
| What a problem! It's scary just to plug in such a dangerous drive.
|
| Since most malware is operating system specific, use a non-Windows computer,
| such as a Mac or a Linux machine.
|
| Put Linux on Your Machine
|
| Various versions of Linux, referred to as Linux Live, can boot from a CD or
| flash drive. Use Puppy Linux. It's free (not unusual for Linux), small, and
| very easy to set up on a CD. Putting it onto a flash drive isn't hard,
| either.
`----

http://www.pcworld.ca/news/column/0d006c250a01040801e2edad5aeba049/pg0.htm

Is Vista stupid (or is it me)?

,----[ Quote ]
| XP was smarter than this. So I ask again: Is Vista stupid or is it me?
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Orchant/?p=521

Small Number of Video iPods Shipped With Windows Virus

,----[ Quote ]
| We recently discovered that a small number - less
| than 1% - of the Video iPods available for purchase
| after September 12, 2006, left our contract manufacturer
| carrying the Windows RavMonE.exe virus. This known
| virus affects only Windows computers...
`----

http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/

Apple blames Windows for iPod virus