[News] Fedora 8 DVD for Gamers Released, Another Fedora 8 Review

  • Subject: [News] Fedora 8 DVD for Gamers Released, Another Fedora 8 Review
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 08:17:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Games Live DVD

,----[ Quote ]
| Fedora Games spin is a custom variant of Fedora targeted at Linux gamers.
| This is to demonstrate the gaming potential of Fedora without altering user's
| existing configuration. The Live DVD also allows installation to hard disk or
| USB flash.
`----

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Games/GamesLive

Fedora 8 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| A new release of Redhat-sponsored Fedora is always in the headlines of the
| Linux world as it is one of those distributions that push Linux forward by
| introducing exciting new features.
`----

http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/224/104/

Fedora 8 Installation Guide

http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/91/26/

Related and recent:

EVE Online [now available for Linux]

http://www.transgaming.com/products/cider/games/eve/

Linux Game Company Opens Doors

,----[ Quote ]
| 3 November 2007, New York - Sixth Floor Labs LLC, a Linux game
| development company, has launched their business today. Founded by
| Ethan Glasser-Camp and Carl Li, the company aims to improve Linux's
| desktop feasibility through the creation of high-quality games. Games
| are "sold" to the Internet community through the "ransom model" -- for
| one large payment, the product is released under the GPL and freed
| forever.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/257457/

Related:

New Loki Games Repository Emerges

| The folks over at Tux Games have opened up a repository containing a
| collection of old software titles ported by Loki Games.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA3Mw

Open Source Gaming Review: Linux Gamers Live DVD 0.9.2

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I like this live dvd of popular free Linux games and I wish the
| absolute best to the developers of the Linux-Gamers.net Live DVD and I want
| to encourage them to continue their work. It?s very, very much appreciated.
| While it?s still got some growing to do, and some bugs to iron out, it really
| has been a very enjoyable distribution to experiment with. I especially like
| the idea that I can take it with me anywhere I go and play some of my
| favorite Linux games, even if the system I?m playing it on doesn?t have
| Linux.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=265

Linux gaming, part two: strategy games

,----[ Quote ]
| Along the years, many commercial games have found their way to Linux too,
| even in limited numbers. Open source strategy games presented here
| still present only the tip of the iceberg, as there are many other
|  strategy game projects out there for Linux. Happypenguin.org, a
| fine source for Linux gaming news, alone lists 151 games in the
| strategy category.
`----

http://kahvipapu.com/blog/2007/06/19/linux-gaming-part-two-strategy-games/

Quake 4 v1.4.2

,----[ Quote ]
| id Software has made the 1.4.2 Point Release for Quake 4 available.
`----

http://www.linuxgames.com/news/feedback.php?identiferID=9245&action=flatview

live.linuX-gamers.net is a Linux live-dvd distribution

,----[ Quote ]
| These games are preinstalled on the live dvd. So you can directly
| play them right after booting from tihs dvd.
`----

http://live.linux-gamers.net/?s=games

Mandriva teams up with TransGaming to release gaming-enhanced MandrivaLinux
2007

,----[ Quote ]
| TransGaming Inc., a leading developer of software portability products
| for the electronic entertainment industry, announced today that
| MandrivaLinux 2007 will include direct integration of their Cedega
| portability engine along with Empire Interactive's popular game FlatOut.
| This OEM agreement brings the thrill of electronic entertainment to
| Mandriva's growing Linux user-base.
|
| The combination of Cedega and FlatOut is seamlessly integrated within
| the MandrivaLinux 2007 installer, giving Linux users access to top tier
| titles as part of the operating system, while also allowing them to play
| hundreds more games, right out of the box. In addition to FlatOut, users
| will be able to play blockbuster titles with Cedega such as Battlefield
| 2, World of WarCraft, Civilization IV, Need for Speed: Most Wanted,
| Madden 2006 and more.
`----

http://www.linuxlookup.com/2006/sep/28/mandriva_teams_up_with_transgaming_to_release_gaming_enhanced_mandrivalinux_2007

ATI: Linux vs. Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Wow! We were completely blown away when our final results came in and the
| Linux 8.42.3 driver had outperformed Windows Vista with Catalyst 7.10 in
| Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. It wasn't just a neck-and-neck race but Linux
| was about 10 frames per second faster when running at 1280 x 1024 and 1680 x
| 1050.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=897&num=3

SL Speed Showdown: Linux Tops Windoze

,----[ Quote ]
| This was not a scientific study - only a small test which confirmed what I
| thought I had "felt" already while using Second Life on my new PC.
`----

http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/2007/07/sl-speed-showdo.html

[Microsoft MVP] Foray into Feisty Fawn helped me take back my MIPS

,----[ Quote ]
| Long story short - World of Warcraft runs faster under Ubuntu/Wine than
| natively under Windows XP Professional.
`----

http://msmvps.com/blogs/plenderj/archive/2007/07/14/foray-into-feisty-fawn-helped-me-take-back-my-mips.aspx

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
| 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
| of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
| 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
|
|     * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
|     * Need for Speed Carbon
|
| [...]
|
| What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
|
| Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
| install and shell out $300.
`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/

Linux FPS [PCLinuxOS]

,----[ Quote ]
| A few weeks ago I installed PCLinuxOS 2007 and I'm very impressed
| with it. One of the things I like is their package manager--everything
| is there, you don't need to add any extra repositories (a popular
| distro that starts with "U" infuriates me with all the mucking
| around you have to do), and there are never any issues with
| unresolved dependencies.
|
| Anyway, last week I downloaded through the package manager a
| game called Sauerbraten. It's a great multi player FPS. It's
| completely free and very entertaining to play.
`----

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/VanAlstine/3051

Because penguins need to play too.

,----[ Quote ]
| The Windows camp have a lot of great games to play and a popular
| misconception is that Linux is lacking in games. That is not true.
| There are literally thousands of games for Linux. In fact a lot of
| them have been ported to Windows too.
|
| [...]
|
| There are both free and commercial games available. Some of the best
| ones I really like are America's Army, Tremulous and Enemy Territory.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/because-penguins-need-to-play-too-14767

ET:QW Linux Demo Coming TODAY

,----[ Quote ]