[News] Linux More Intuitive Than Windows -- Proof Below

  • Subject: [News] Linux More Intuitive Than Windows -- Proof Below
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 23:59:50 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Windows is !easy, Linux is !hard.

,----[ Quote ]
| Note: These are Microsoft programs written by Microsoft and supplied by MS's
| web site.
|
|     * Find the programs on the web site.
|     * Download them.
|     * Run MSDE to find that it just unpacked itself to a directory.
|     * Go to that directory and run setup.
|     * Find out that I had to supply a command line switch.
|     * Go to the command line and run the setup again with the command line
|       switch.
|     * #$%&!@ click, #$%&!@ click, #$%&!@ click, #$%&!@ click
|     * Reboot the computer.
|     * Run the setup for web data admin.
|     * Get a message that it needs .net 1.1
|     * #$%&!@ and #$%&!@ about dependency hel
|
| [...]
|
|  Just for kicks I went through the equivalent procedure in Kubuntu.
|
|     * Start up Adept Manager.
|     * Put the term "postgre" in the search box and wait a couple of seconds
|       for all postgresql programs to list.
|     * Choose install for postgresql as the closest thing to MS's MSDE.
|     * Choose install for postgresql-client just because I felt like it.
|     * Choose install for phppgadmin as the closest thing to MS'S web data
|       admin.
|     * Click on Apply Changes
|     * Start making a cup of coffee while everything is downloaded and
|       installed.
|     * Close Adept Manager after everything was installed.
|     * Finish making my cup of coffee and drink it while playing with the
  |     database.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/windows-is-easy-linux-is-hard-20904

Related:

Christer Edwards: Ubuntu 7.10 vs Windows XP : The Story of the Hotel Printer

,----[ Quote ]
| I then click print in Evince and out comes the document.  Done.  You know,
| people still insist on telling me that they don’t want to run Linux because
| its harder, or that Windows XP just works for what they want to do.  Are you
| kidding me?  Just this evening it took me twice as much work to *try* and
| print something, which never worked.  Ubuntu “just worked”… go figure.
`----

http://www.linuxindex.com/2007/11/08/christer-edwards-ubuntu-710-vs-windows-xp-the-story-of-the-hotel-printer/

The Perception that Windows is Easier to Use than Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/2006/07/31/the-perception-that-windows-is-easier-to-use-than-ubuntu/