[News] Microsoft Turns Linux, OpenSolaris and UNIX Battles to FUD Against Them

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Turns Linux, OpenSolaris and UNIX Battles to FUD Against Them
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:12:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux vs. Unix (Cost)

,----[ Quote ]
| What’s going on is that moving between Unix variants like Solaris and Linux
| is fairly easy, but comments like Anton’s reflect Microsoft’s success in
| piggy-backing a general anti-Unix message on Red Hat’s anti-Sun sales
| strategy - and that’s the bottom line: for Anton this whole Unix/Linux
| distinction is probably just a mistake, for Microsoft it’s a deliberate and
| dishonest marketing ploy, and for you it’s a mind trap to avoid.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1016

The Root of All Evil

,----[ Quote ]
| So, what is all this talk about? Well, the point is: I'm very concerned about
| OpenSolaris' future and the future of this community as well, being the
| reason something called Project Indiana.
`----

http://grezlam.blogspot.com/2007/11/root-of-all-evil.html

Related:

An Open Letter to the Community: A Proposed Solution

,----[ Quote ]
| In closing, I believe in light of recent frustrations that a word be devoted
| to Mr Ian Murdock. I have had the pleasure of meeting with him several times
| since coming to Sun and getting to know his mind. I believe with ever core of
| my being that he is one of the most open minded and receptive technologists
| that I've ever met. I am personally offended by the various accusations that
| he is closed minded or inflexible. I humbly ask the community to consider
| that there are many persons at Sun who have various agenda's which are in
| several cases being unfairly placed on him. He has tried to be open and
| honest with the community and repaid with mockery and condescending remarks.
`----

http://cuddletech.com/blog/pivot/entry.php?id=875

"Save a Penguin, Unplug a Linux Server" May Win Most-Flamable E-Mail Award

,----[ Quote ]
| I just got an e-mail from Sun which is probably the largest violation
| of L. Ron Hubbard's Survey tech that I've ever seen. It was an e-mail
| with the title of, "Save a Penguin - Unplug a Linux Server Today".
`----

http://jetteroheller.wordpress.com/2007/05/03/save-a-penguin-unplug-a-linux-server-may-win-most-flamable-e-mail-award/

Morton: no merging of OpenSolaris with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Don’t expect to see key features of OpenSolaris showing up in the Linux
| kernel, said a top  Linux maintainer.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1295

Solaris can never be Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Things haven't changed much at Sun. When Sun launched its
| OpenSolaris project in 2005 it used the Common Development and
| Distribution Licence - which is incompatible with the GPL - and
| some system code was not released.

OpenSolaris fans in a tizzy over 'Project Copy Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems has moved one mailing list posting closer to explaining
| how it plans to mimic the Linux distribution model with OpenSolaris.
|
| [...]
|
| The Solaris vendor spent the early part of this century mocking Linux.
| Next, it forced then CEO Scott McNealy to don a penguin suit and waddle
| around in front of analysts, extolling the virtues of Sun's own flavor
| of Linux. Then, Sun scrapped its own Linux in favor of selling Red Hat,
| while also mocking Red Hat.
|
| Now we find Sun trying to imitate part of the development model pushed
| by Canonical and Red Hat. Even though Sun likes to hold tight control
| over the Solaris proper releases, you can imagine the vendor picking
| up valuable bits and pieces created by the OpenSolaris developer
| community, just like the Linux vendors do with the work produced by
| their developer armies.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/31/sun_project_indiana/

A First Look at The “OpenSolaris Developer Preview”

,----[ Quote ]
| The Indiana project within OpenSolaris.org has been spearheaded by Ian
| Murdock since the day he joined Sun. The idea was always simple and direct;
| to create a reference distribution based on all the open source bits
| available. To release something that allows anyone to just download it, run
| it, extend it without looking near and far for components.
`----

http://www.blastwave.org/articles/BLS-0061/index.html

Sun opens 'Indiana' chapter of OpenSolaris

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-13580_3-9809584-39.html