Re: [Rival] Meltdown for Microsoft's Mail Service?

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 30 November 2007 16:59 : \____

> On Nov 30, 12:56 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> Microsoft having problems with Hotmail server?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Forums are alight with posters who report that they haven't been able to
>> | receive messages sent through Hotmail since November 26. Some have also
>> | expressed annoyance that they can't reach Microsoft directly to report the
>> | problem.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15577/1054/
>>
>> Related:
>>
>> If Intent Can Be Proven, Microsoft Could Face Millions Of Mail Fraud Charges
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The final results bore out the "conventional wisdom." If emails were
>> | donuts, Hotmail would be HomerSimpsonMail. I don't need to reiterate the
>> | figures, there they are in blue and red. But for a Hotmail account to
>> | destroy up to 81% of all emails with attachments prior to their delivery
>> | to a "generic" ISP email account is nothing short of absurd, as these
>> | Hotmail accounts were not the free variety, but the fully paid ones.
>> | Compare those figures to the ones where the generic ISP email accounts
>> | exchanged emails with attachments and you will clearly see the difference.
>> | The worst performance was in making 2% Vanish.
>> `----
>>
>> http://hubpages.com/hub/Hotmail_Fails_To_Deliver_Up_To_81_Of_All_Atta...
>>
>> Botnet army' behind tenfold rise in 'attachment' spam
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | "No one but the spam group knows how many PCs they can control with this
>> | spambot, it is assumed to be a high five figure number. If each of the PCs
>> | is instructed to send 200-300 spam messages containing a PDF attachment
>> | the spammers can send hundreds or millions of spam messages in a day -
>> | equivalent to 25 percent of all spam sent on a given day."
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13866...
>>
>> Hotmail engine overhaul
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The redesign effort, even its more ambitious aspects, is not
>> | a total wash, however.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | With Hotmail, Microsoft was at the end of its development rope.
>> | Every new feature basically had to be "hacked" into the code.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6181819-2.html?tag=st.next
>>
>> It's ME vs. MICROSOFT - Who Will Win ?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Now, the only problem with #1 is that IT DOES NOT WORK. When Microsoft
>> | blackholes your email, or bounces it with "550 Your e-mail was rejected
>> | for policy reasons on this gateway.", no amount of client whitelisting is
>> | going to help (I tried it). This leaves me with option #2 - well I say
>> | "F-You Microsoft, I'm not paying for YOUR STUPID MISTAKES!"
>> `----
>>
>> http://success.grownupgeek.com/index.php/2007/09/28/its-me-vs-microso...

> [...]

I often see people talking about reduction is SPAM (that manages to actually
arrive boxes). It's merely a case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Cringely talked about losing up to 90% of the legitimate mail with one
provider. Oh great! Let's just get some poor discriminant and filter out based
on a poor threshold. Great! No SPAM. Not much mail either. It's all being
killed, unless it's somehow seen as 'pure'.

SPAM will be a resolved issue when zombie PCs, of which there appear to be
hundreds of millions (Windows PCs) cease to exist and attempt to connect to
mail servers.

The folks on the Ubuntu CD cover need to apt-get shirt, not sudo fsck.
 17:20:02 up 30 days, 21:18,  3 users,  load average: 1.36, 1.98, 1.89