[News] How Linux and Open Source Virtualisation Can Truly Revive a Company

  • Subject: [News] How Linux and Open Source Virtualisation Can Truly Revive a Company
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 03:14:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Oracle VM and the Linux virtualization revolution

,----[ Quote ]
| The Age of Virtualization is upon us, and I don’t believe we would have
| gotten this far this fast without open source software. Virtualization and
| VMware originated on mainframes, and when IBM finally “got it,” it used Linux
| to revive a company that was sinking slowly into the past. By adopting Linux,
| it came up with an OS that could be used on all of its hardware.
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/11/29/oracle-vm-and-the-linux-virtualization-revolution/

Oracle Claims Strides in Linux Campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| Yahoo turned to Oracle's Linux support offering after some bad experiences
| with Red Hat, said Tim Heath, a Yahoo senior database engineer. "There were
| some bugs in Linux" that Yahoo couldn't get Red Hat to fix, Heath said.
| Yahoo, which runs Red Hat Linux on 50,000 of its 150,000 servers, now has
| Linux support contracts with both Oracle and Red Hat.

OpenWorld: 1,500 companies adopt Oracle Unbreakable Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite Oracle's fast growth, Red Hat remains the top dog in the enterprise
| Linux market, with tens of thousands of subscribers to its support business.
| During its Q1 2008 call with analysts, Red Hat CEO Matthew Szulik said it
| added "multiple of thousands of customers" in that quarter alone.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=89&articleId=9046978&intsrc=hm_topic
http://tinyurl.com/3djllc

Ellison touts Fusion Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle CEO Larry Ellison didn't display much of his traditional flamboyance
| Wednesday at Oracle's OpenWorld conference, but he did preview the company's
| next-generation Fusion Applications and said its Unbreakable Linux offering
| has met with initial success.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071115/tc_infoworld/93428

OpenWorld: Oracle restricting app support to its own virtualization platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Buried under the surface of Oracle Corp.'s Monday announcement that it plans
| to get into the virtualization market is the fact that the company won't
| support its database and many other applications if they are running on
| virtualization software from VMware Inc., Microsoft Corp. or even Red Hat
| Inc.
|
| That effectively limits enterprise users who want to run their Oracle
| applications more efficiently through virtualization to just one platform:
| Oracle's new VM.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9046998&intsrc=news_ts_head
http://tinyurl.com/38yk8h

Why does Larry Ellison have a Red Hat fetish?

,----[ Quote ]
| Larry doesn't understand open source. This isn't surprising since the people
| who report to him apparently don't, either (though I don't include Mike Olson
| in that crowd - he's a victim of golden handcuffs :-). Oracle desperately
| wants open source to be "just another tool" that it uses for IT domination.
| It's not. It actually has the opposite effect.
|
| Oracle just can't grok this.
|
| It wants to own the Linux kernel. It can't. It wanted to own JBoss. It
| couldn't. Open source is about controlling through sharing, but Oracle
| doesn't do the "share" thing very well.
|
| And so we'll have to sporadically endure Mr. Ellison's ego pronouncing
| himself god of the Linux world, despite his Linux business being so anemic
| that he won't break out its numbers. If the numbers are so great, report
| them, Mr. Ellison. (Having said this, it's important to note that Oracle
| stopped breaking out revenue by product line many years ago.)
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9817945-16.html?tag=head

Ellison: 'Fusion Must Coexist'

,----[ Quote ]