[News] Linux Inherits the Role of UNIX

Windows, Linux grow while Unix stays flat (but undefeated)

,----[ Quote ]
| Gartner, at its data center conference this week, said Windows is expected to
| get $19.6 billion this year rising to $22.2 billion by 2012. Linux,
| meanwhile, will grow from $8.6 billion to $12.2 billion over that same
| period.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9049398

They still measure everything in terms of money and only count brand-new
preloaded units (Linux is usually installed, even on old machines).

Putting Linux in Perspective

,----[ Quote ]
| Much like your Linux system choices of today, there were choices back in
| 1986. In the article I looked at three versions of real UNIX (meaning
| software licensed from AT&T) and two clones. Also, much like today, I didn't
| come up with the one single best answer. Each had advantages and
| disadvantages.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005754

Related:

Server sales turn vendors into very happy bunnies

,----[ Quote ]