[News] Google Starts New FLOSS Funding, Open Source Importance Stressed

  • Subject: [News] Google Starts New FLOSS Funding, Open Source Importance Stressed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 11:41:41 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
It's here: the Google Highly Open Participation Contest

,----[ Quote ]
| The Google Summer of Code program has been a joint labor of love between
| Google and the open source community for the  past three years, and the
| results have been spectacular: hundreds of college students have been
| introduced to open source software, thousands of people across the globe have
| begun development together and millions of lines of open code have been
| produced, 4 million last year alone.
`----

http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2007/11/its-here-google-highly-open.html

The Importance of Open Source Governance in Mitigating Risk

,----[ Quote ]
| Best practices for managing risk when developing an effective open source
| policy
`----

http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/460562_p.htm

Open source participation as an IT investment

,----[ Quote ]
| It strikes me as interesting that enterprises are being sold open source
| primarily on the premise that the availability of source code directly
| translates into flexibility with little-to-no mention of how the model is
| capable of generating novel ways of creating and maintaining technology. This
| is, at once, both a travesty and an invaluable source of opportunity, as the
| companies which step to exploratory forefront will be the ones that are first
| to harness the next wave of extreme competitive advantage.
`----

http://alexfletcher.typepad.com/all_bets_off/2007/11/how-open-source.html

Related (Google-funded FLOSS):

Amarok's Summer of Code Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Read on to learn about two innovative additions to the Amarok project.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1190246519/

Hey charger! OLPC gets power boost from Aussie coder

,----[ Quote ]
| A 21-year-old Australian is playing a key part in developing the charger unit
| for the XO-1 -- the laptop which is the center of the One Laptop Per Child
| project.
|
| [...]
|
| According to it's website, GSoC aims to "get more open source created and
| released for the benefit of all", and requires students to licence all GSoC
| code under a licence acceptable to their host organisation.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=193757623&rid=-50

New Compiz Fusion Effects

| A new Google Summer-of-Code plugin has gone into the repositories,
| called ‘colorfilter’ by iXce. This allows you to change certain colors to
| other colors by the use of pixel shaders. You can toggle color filtering for
| specific windows or the entire screen. Colorfilters are loaded via special
| color filter files.
`----

http://thelinuxmovement.blogspot.com/2007/07/new-compiz-fusion-effects.html

Linux powers $50 wireless mesh router

,----[ Quote ]
| Meraki was founded by CEO Sanjit Biswas, and is based in Mountain
| View, Calif. In February, it closed a $5 million funding round led
| by Google and Sequoia Capital.

Google Summer of Code

,----[ Quote ]
| Accepted student applications for Google Summer of Code have been
| announced! We accepted over 900 student applicants from a pool of
| nearly 6,200 applications.
`----

http://code.google.com/soc/#a

Google Launches "Google Developer Day"

,----[ Quote ]
| The intention behind Google Developer Day sounds somewhat similar to "Hack
| Day" -- an annual one day gathering that rival Yahoo has been hosting in
| its Sunnyvale, California abode inviting software developers to get
| together and experiment with Yahoo applications.
`----

http://www.sda-asia.com/sda/news/psecom,id,15238,srn,4,nodeid,4,_language,Singapore.html
http://tinyurl.com/2vhyu3

Google Grants - Free Advertising for Open Source Non-profits

,----[ Quote ]
| Programs like Google Summer of Code can really help raise awareness of
| your project, but you may want to learn about another Google program
| that may be able to help give your project more visibility.
|
| The Google Grants program, currently in beta release, uses Google
| AdWords to help nonprofits spread their messages to a wider audience
| by providing them with free advertising on Google.com.
`----

http://google-code-updates.blogspot.com/2007/04/google-grants-free-advertising-for-open.html
http://tinyurl.com/34py7c

(Google) Speaking of Summer