[News] [Rival] Windows Vista = Beta, XP = 98SE, Linux Benefits

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista = Beta, XP = 98SE, Linux Benefits
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:24:49 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft’s painful blister: Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Just days away from Microsoft’s first year anniversary of Vista Business RTM
| on Nov 30, the last year has felt like Vista has been in a perpetual beta,
| just like all those Web 2.0 sites.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15532/1105/

Windows XP: The New Windows 98SE

,----[ Quote ]
| hether we like it or not, Microsoft is going to continue to be just fine. No
| thanks to Vista mind you, rather because of what I call the 'New Coke
| Syndrome.' When it comes to offering a new version of your OS, offer one that
| is so Beta, so poorly thought through that people are ecstatic about the
| previous release.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2701&Itemid=449

A Marketing Campaign For GNU/Linux called "Vista"

http://www.fsfe.org/en/fellows/jj/jj_s_blog/a_marketing_campaign_for_gnu_linux_called_vista

`----

http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

,----[ Quote ]
| From nathanm Mon Oct 01 11:42:05 1990
| To: billg; bradsi;
| Subject: SPARC, MIPS & Compaq
| DateL Tue Oct 02, 22:57:14 1990
|
| [...]
|
| The purpose of announcing early like this is to freeze the market at the
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| OEM and ISV level. In this respect it is JUST like the original Windows
| announcement ..
|
| One might worry that this will help Sun because we will just have
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| vaporware, that people will stop buying 486 machines, that we will have
| ^^^^^^^^^
| endorsed RISC but not delivered .. So, Scott, do you really think you
| can fight that avalanche?
`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/010807/PLEX_0411_A.pdf

Imaginary Innovations

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, Intel and Motorola were especially vocal in promoting
| alliances with media brands that, a year later, have fizzled or
| haven't come to fruition at all.
|
| Last year, Microsoft pumped up the crowds about its URGE music
| service, which it created in conjunction with Viacom's MTV. But
| while MTV is just now beginning to promote the service, Microsoft
| seems to have moved on in favor of the Zune Marketplace and the
| potential of satellite TV on Media Center PCs and Xbox 360s.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/01/04/vaporware-ces-gadgets-tech-media-cx_rr_0105vaporware.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/y8fdkr

What Longhorn was supposed to be: