[News] Pamela Jones of Groklaw Interviewed; IBM's Latest Anti-consumer Patent

  • Subject: [News] Pamela Jones of Groklaw Interviewed; IBM's Latest Anti-consumer Patent
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 09:04:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Q&A: Pamela Jones of Groklaw

,----[ Quote ]
| I just like to use Mandriva and Ubuntu and Red Hat and Knoppix. When SCO
| attacked Linux, I noticed things were being said that I thought were
| outrageous, so it made me mad enough that I thought I could contribute my
| skills to try to contribute back by defending where I could. It really
| bothered me that SCO was attacking Linus. I was sure that if there was any
| code in Linux that shouldn't be there, he'd never do so deliberately. His
| character stands in the face of any such accusation. And the code is out
| there for the public to view 24/7, so it makes no sense to "steal" anyone's
| copyrighted code and put it there. Anyway, I always wanted to contribute back
| something for all the enjoyment I get from the operating system these guys
| gave the world, but it was my first chance to actually do so, not being a
| programmer.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/features/141573/qa-pamela-jones-of-groklaw.html

Sto0opid IBM patent...

IBM patent could pause your DVD movie for "a word from our sponsors"

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine this scenario. You've just received the latest Hollywood blockbuster
| in the mail from the DVD rental service of your choice. You've popped the
| popcorn, poured a tall glass of your favorite beverage, and settled back to
| watch the film on your flatscreen TV. 15 minutes or so into the movie—right
| as the action is building to a crescendo—the movie fades to a commercial. For
| the next minute, you're forced to watch the commercial as the fast-forward
| button has suddenly stopped working.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071125-ibm-patent-could-pause-your-dvd-movie-for-a-word-from-our-sponsors.html
http://tinyurl.com/ytfk8s

Microsoft has a similar patent:

Microsoft patents Tivo for commercial breaks

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7946&Itemid=1063