[News] GNU/Linux Available from World's Largest Retailer, Second Largest OEM

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Available from World's Largest Retailer, Second Largest OEM
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 08:56:56 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Wal-Mart, Dell offers help breathe new life into Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| When the world's largest retailer and the second largest computer maker both
| offer Linux-based PCs, maybe Linux isn't just for geeks anymore.
`----

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07331/836964-28.stm

Related:

Forrester: Businesses still saying no to Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Software incompatibility, the need for hardware upgrades, and comfort with
| existing versions of Microsoft Windows are all causing businesses that once
| planned to roll out Windows Vista as fast as consumers to put off their
| deployments, according to Forrester Research.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/15/Forrester-says-businesses-still-saying-no-to-Vista_1.html?source=rss&url=www.infoworld.com%2Farticle%2F07%2F08%2F15%2FForrester-says-businesses-still-saying-no-to-Vista_1.html

Software Assurance Storm Warning

,----[ Quote ]
| In a report to be published today, Forrester Research sees a series of
| customer hurricanes coming Microsoft's way. If they strike, they could wash
| away many Software Assurance contracts. Software Assurance is the discounted
| upgrade option available with Open, Open Value and Select volume licensing
| contracts.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/software_assurance_storm_warning.html

Vista to Ubuntu Linux, The Route to Recovery.

,----[ Quote ]
| I can say to Microsoft now, you have lost a customer. You are losing many
| because you didn’t care. Vista is the worst operating system I have seen in
| 26 years of computing. This week I had to buy a new mouse for my desktop (It
| runs Ubuntu as well now), I went out of my way to buy a non-Microsoft mouse.
| I will never buy another Microsoft product. Linux is finally ready for the
| desktop, for home use and businesses.
|
| Crappy Windows OS: $200. Ubuntu Linux: Priceless, literally!
`----

http://keskydee.com/wordpress/archives/7

The Silent Microsoft Exodus?

,----[ Quote ]