[News] Linux Can Beat Vista Thanks to Small Laptops, Vista's Weight

  • Subject: [News] Linux Can Beat Vista Thanks to Small Laptops, Vista's Weight
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 05:27:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Cheap Laptops Bad for Vista, Good for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The good news for everyone is that you can get a good, solid laptop for under
| a grand these days. The bad news for Vista users is that many of those
| laptops, even though they're sold with Vista, have nothing like enough
| resources to run Vista decently.
|
| [...]
|
| Total additional cost? About a buck for the burnable DVD for the Linux
| distribution. It's not a matter of "if," it's a matter of when we're going to
| see more Linux-powered laptops.
|
| Do the math. Vista doesn't work for today's laptop market. XP and Linux do.
| It's really that simple.

Even Bill Gates was disappointed with Vista's heavy weight, just before he
retired. Him and Allchin said it out loud before retiring (and resorting
to 'bribing' and blackmailing politicians in Gates' case).

Reviewing the Asus Eee PC 4G

,----[ Quote ]
| Excuse us for a sec, OK? We'll start the review momentarily but just need to
| switch into our Professional PC Critic Veteran Reviewer Voice Omigod! That is
| like the cutest thing EVER lemme see lemme see! Oh I so have to get one of
| these RIGHT NOW only two pounds could you DIE? Four C's you WISH, come on no
| way WAY, $400? Omigod I am like losing it right here. Hello? Paper bag?
| Breathe into?
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6439/1/

Related:

'$100 laptop' production begins

,----[ Quote ]
| Hardware suppliers have been given the green light to ramp-up production of
| all of the components needed to build millions of the low-cost machines.
| Previously, the organisation behind the scheme said that it required orders
| for 3m laptops to make production viable. The first machines should be ready
| to put into the hands of children in developing countries in October 2007.

Can You Guess America's Most Wanted Notebook This Christmas?

,----[ Quote ]
| I'll give you some clues. It's only got a seven-inch screen, four gigabytes
| of internal memory, and it runs on Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| Rated as the "most wanted Christmas gift among notebooks products" according
| to Amazon and CNET, the Asus Eee PC could quite possibly be more sought after
| than Guitar Hero III or the Nintendo Wii.
`----

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C13944/

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sincerely hope that no matter what the people who are running the
| OLPC project decide, that their project will continue and not get
| bogged down in a play of corporate greed and ambitions.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/technology/16chip.html?ex=1177560000&en=2ef52cee6b1fb0e3&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS