[News] [OT] Corporatate Greed Lies for Net Neutrality, Copyrights Abuse, Software

  • Subject: [News] [OT] Corporatate Greed Lies for Net Neutrality, Copyrights Abuse, Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 01:53:40 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Internet capacity alarmism is a corporatist scam

,----[ Quote ]
| The Daily Kos bogger writes, "When big figures like $137 billion start
| getting tossed around, it is always worth looking at the vital
| question... 'Who would benefit?' Sure enough, the article includes part of
| the answer."
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/26/internet-capacity-alarmism

Just like some people inflate figures about losses to copyright infringement.
See:

"Infringement Nation: Copyright Reform and the Law/Norm Gap"

http://www.turnergreen.com/publications/Tehranian_Infringement_Nation.pdf

Related:

Piracy figures are inflated say criminologists

,----[ Quote ]
| A DRAFT REPORT by the Australian Institute of Criminology says
| copyright holders are making up piracy figures in order to sway
| governments to their side.
|
| [...]
|
| Malik added that either these statistics should be withdrawn or the
| purveyors of these statistics must supply valid and transparent
| substantiation. However it looks like the report is set to be watered
| down. Since the draft has been made public, the BSAA has had a hissy
| fit.
|
| Now Institute principal criminologist Russell Smith said the report was
| "an early draft" that was "being edited" by the agency.

Knowledge Networks pays $300,000 to settle internal copyright complaint

,----[ Quote ]
| Analyst firm Knowledge Networks has agreed to pay $300,000 to settle a
| complaint that it distributed news articles to its employees without
| permission of the copyright owners, a trade group announced Thursday.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/08/16/Firm-settles-internal-copyright-complaint_1.html

Chinese firm claims World of Warcraft 'stole fonts'

,----[ Quote ]
| Chinese IT firm Founder Electronics Co. claims it lost more than one billion
| yuan (132 million dollars) through the unauthorised use of five of its fonts
| in the multiplayer role-playing game, Xinhua news agency said late Thursday.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070816/ennew_afp/lifestyleentertainment

An Open Letter to Members of the RIAA

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem with the CRB ruling of last March is primarily that the copyright
| rate issued will dramatically be in excess of the gross revenue of 90% of all
| webcasters operating in the United States.
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/An+Open+Letter+to+Members+of+the+RIAA/article8435.htm

The Land of "Nothing for free"

,----[ Quote ]