[News] Red Hat Expects Widespread Deployment of Linux on the Desktop

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat Expects Widespread Deployment of Linux on the Desktop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:29:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Red Hat gets all charged up in Asia

,----[ Quote ]
| The trend we're seeing is toward having different desktops for different
| users. Linux's flexibility means that we see it on a variety of devices like
| thin clients or the OLPC, for example. I'm expecting widespread deployment of
| Linux on the desktop fairly soon.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,62034857,00.htm

They might launch their RHEL desktop any day now (they said it would be
November).

Related:

Red Hat Preps Desktop Blitz, Regional Events

,----[ Quote ]
| The VAR Guy hears. After focusing mainly on x86 servers in recent years, Red
| Hat will move both downstream and upstream while rallying partners at
| regional events later this year.
`----

http://techiqmag.com/2007/03/22/red-hat-preps-desktop-blitz-regional-partner-events/

Van Wyk aims to transform Red Hat for future growth

,----[ Quote ]
| Coming up with that internal plan lies on the shoulders of 30-year IT veteran
| Nick Van Wyk. Van Wyk joined Red Hat last year from EMC, taking a newly
| created role as vice president of operations to optimize Red Hat's
| subscription model and create better business processes to support the
| company's channel.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/103007-van-wyk-aims-to-transform.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Red Hat, Research In Motion lead early tech gains

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat, Research In Motion lead early tech gains Red Hat Inc. shares rose 66
| cents, or 3.7%, to $19.60 after the open-source software developer on Tuesday
| reported a 65% increase in its second-quarter earning due to strong sales of
| its Linux operating system software.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B0AE3FC25-2E40-4130-877C-15ED002A612D%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Tour of GNOME Online Desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Here’s a tour of the pre-alpha demo release of GNOME Online Desktop included
| in Fedora 8.
`----

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2007/11/13/tour-of-gnome-online-desktop/

Red Hat Global Desktop to appear in November

,----[ Quote ]
| When Red Hat announced its upcoming Linux desktop at its annual summit in
| May, the company predicted the Red Hat Global Desktop would be out by
| September. Now, delayed a bit, the new desktop Linux will be appearing in
| November, company executives are saying.

Red Hat Offers Global Desktop for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With Red Hat launching a new Linux-based desktop operating system,
| called Global Desktop for Linux, one analyst is saying the software
| could be "huge" for Linux, particularly in developing countries that
| haven't gone the Microsoft Windows route. Red Hat's Global Desktop
| for Linux is a commercial spinoff of the One Laptop Per Child project.
`----

http://www.newsfactor.com/news/Red-Hat-Offers-Global-Desktop-for-Linux/story.xhtml?story_id=0110001A6OI0

Red Hat small business desktops available in Australia early 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Mr Riveros, Red Hat's new Linux desktop release will be easy to
| implement by small businesses with no Linux expertise in house and will
| require less security knowledge than for Microsoft Windows.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/13943/53/

Dell beefs up Precision portable workstation line

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell is adding more power to its high-end line of mobile workstations with
| the debut of the Precision M6300, a 17" notebook geared at engineers,
| developers, video editors and others who need to tote around some serious
| silicon.
|
| [...]
|
| RedHat Linux 5.1 will be available on the system in October.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/04/dell_precision_m6300/

Dell pushes for better Linux drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Amit Bhutani told a session at the Ubuntu Live 2007 conference that Dell has
| several "areas of investigation" when it comes to Linux.
`----

http://www.crn.com.au/story.aspx?CIID=87745&src=site-marq

Michael Dell: Linux Coming to SMBs, Europe Soon

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2156607,00.asp#471376266180320785