[News] [Rival] Huge Number of Windows PCs Left Open to Hijackers as Old Flaw Returns

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Huge Number of Windows PCs Left Open to Hijackers as Old Flaw Returns
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:18:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Flaw leaves Microsoft looking like a turkey

,----[ Quote ]
| While testing the flaw, Mr Butler found more than 160,000 computers in NZ
| were vulnerable. Computers in the US are not vulnerable to the flaw, but many
| countries are potentially wide open.
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/microsoft-flaw-a-massive-shock/2007/11/23/1195975914416.html

Maybe it's not a flaw, but another NSA 'feature'.

Isn't it ironic that the NSA would justify back doors because of 'national
security', but at the same time, those very same back doors are used by
foreign countries to intrude and /compromise/ 'nation security'?

Related:

In zombies we trust

,----[ Quote ]
| A little over a year ago, I wrote an editorial where in back-of-the-envelope
| style (.pdf) I estimated that perhaps 15-30% of all privately owned computers
| were no longer under the sole control of their owner. In the intervening
| months, I received a certain amount of hate mail but in those intervening
| months Vint Cert guessed 20-40%, Microsoft said 2/3rds, and IDC suggested
| 3/4ths. It is thus a conservative risk position to assume that any random
| counterparty stands a fair chance of being already compromised.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=661

Over 50% of corporate desktops infected with malware: IronPort

,----[ Quote ]
| The report also reveals that more than 50% of corporate desktops
| worldwide are infected with some type of spyware with the rate of
| infection as high as 70% in the United States. Trojans or malicious
| system monitors represented over 7% of the infections. Rootkits and
| trick loaders, which reinstall spyware and other obfuscation techniques,
| make remediation very difficult thus prevention is the key to stopping
| these threats.
`----

http://www.crn-india.com/breakingnews/stories/66870.html

Botnet 'pandemic' threatens to strangle the net

,----[ Quote ]
| Cerf estimated that between 100 million and 150 million of the
| 600 million PCs on the internet are under the control of hackers,
| the BBC reports.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/01/26/botnet_threat/

Did NSA Put a Secret Backdoor in New Encryption Standard?

,----[ Quote ]
| Which is why you should worry about a new random-number standard that
| includes an algorithm that is slow, badly designed and just might contain a
| backdoor for the National Security Agency.
`----

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2007/11/securitymatters_1115

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]