Re: [News] [OT] M/S Explorer is Sinking

Mark Kent wrote:

>> ____/ Peter Kai Jensen on Sunday 25 November 2007 11:57 : \____

>>> And amongst penguins, of all things ...
>>
>> Explorer can't face the IceWeasels... and IceDoves... and polar bears
>> (KBear).
>>

> On a more serious note, it appears that all passengers and crew have
> been safely rescued.  Sea disasters are relatively rare now

No, they aren't. There were several those last years. It does not need to be
a cruise ship.
Remember "Herald of Free Enterprise"? That was just one of the bad ones,
with several dead, in europe

Each year we have had *at* *least* one real bad sea disaster with ferries.
Indonesia is especially bad.

If one also counts cargo ships, then on average one is lost each month
worldwide

> - I wonder if the bell at Lloyds is ever rung?

/quote from wikipedia
In the great Underwriting Room of Lloyd's stands the Lutine Bell, which was
struck when the fate of a ship “overdue” at its destination port became
known. If the ship was safe, the bell would be rung twice: if it had sunk,
the bell would be rung once. (This had the practical purpose of immediately
stopping the sale or purchase of “overdue” reinsurance on that vessel.)

Now it is only rung for ceremonial purposes, such as the visit of a
distinguished guest (two rings), or for the annual Remembrance Day service;
and for major world catastrophes, such as 9/11 and the Asian Tsunami
Disaster (one ring).
/unquote

--
Your conscience never stops you from doing anything.  It just stops you
from enjoying it.