[News] Wall Street-traded Companies Make Money from Giving Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Wall Street-traded Companies Make Money from Giving Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 05:08:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Software's Enterprising Minds

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, new open-source software firms such as Red Hat give away free
| software for the Linux operating system and charge for additional support
| services. This change has greatly altered the economics of software
| development. Oracle has responded by building its own open-source business.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/071123/industry.html?.v=1

SourceForge exec on the open source breeding ground

,----[ Quote ]
| With more staff, improvements to its website, new infrastructure and an
| increased enterprise take-up of open source, it’s full steam ahead.
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1977051721;fp;2;fpid;4

Surely, money can't be made from Free software, says Microsoft.

Related:

Red Hat sees FY07 greater China sales up 100 pct

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yahoo.reuters.com/news/articlehybrid.aspx?storyID=urn:newsml:reuters.com:20060926:MTFH04213_2006-09-26_06-26-12_SHA306441&type=comktNews&rpc=44
http://tinyurl.com/rdrsg