[News] NVIDIA's Linux Drivers Improves, New ATI Driver for Linux

  • Subject: [News] NVIDIA's Linux Drivers Improves, New ATI Driver for Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 00:31:48 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
NVIDIA 169.04 Driver Brings Improvements

,----[ Quote ]
| Most notably, with the NVIDIA 100.14.19 driver with a GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
| we found major performance gains. With the NVIDIA 169.04 Beta driver we have
| once again found significant performance improvements for the GeForce 8
| series on Linux. While there were no improvements with the GeForce 8600GT in
| Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, the improvements were very noticeable in Doom 3
| and Quake 4. This updated Linux driver has also corrected some monitor issues
| we previously had with incorrectly parsing the EDID information and other
| bugs.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=925&num=1

Latest ATI Linux Driver Brings Support for Ubuntu 7.10

,----[ Quote ]
| A new version of the ATI/AMD Linux display driver was released last night for
| both x86 and x86_64 platforms. This release is a bit special, as it includes
| support for Ubuntu 7.10. Moreover, starting with this version, the ATI
| Catalyst software suite does not support the Linux kernel 2.4, XFree86 4.3
| software and workstation hardware.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Latest-ATI-Linux-Driver-Brings-Support-for-Ubuntu-7-10-71547.shtml

Related:

Open-Source Developers Speak Out About AMD

,----[ Quote ]
| Daniel Stone had also mentioned that in less than ten hours of the
| specifications being available, GPU specifications were downloaded from the
| X.Org server over 70,000 times and ate up more than 1.3 terabytes of
| bandwidth!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=838&num=1

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427