[News] Britain Slashes Software Patents, Addresses "Patent Troll" Epidemic

  • Subject: [News] Britain Slashes Software Patents, Addresses "Patent Troll" Epidemic
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 00:22:20 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Inventor of revoked payment patent says UK system is a joke

,----[ Quote ]
| A patent for the handling of gratuities in card payments has been revoked by
| the UK Intellectual Property Office (IPO) for being a business method
| implemented by a computer program. The decision follows recently-revised
| guidance on patentability.
|
| One of the inventors told OUT-LAW today that his company spent more than
| £100,000 trying to enforce and defend the patent before passing the rights to
| another company, which he described as a "patent troll". He believes that
| company will appeal this month's ruling.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11/23/uk_patent_system_a_joke/

Here comes the Amazon patent system abuser:

Amazon Patents Net Present Value-Based Delivery Dates

,----[ Quote ]
| theodp writes "Just in time for holiday shopping, the USPTO has awarded
| Amazon a patent for Generating Current Order Fulfillment Plans Based on
| Expected Future Orders, which explains how to use modeled net present value
| to adjust an order's delivery date favorably or unfavorably based upon
| expectations that the customer will have high-profit orders in the future..."
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20071120/015521.shtml

Discrimination/tiering is now an Amazon Invention(R)(R)(R).

Related:

Amazon Sneaks One-Click Past the Patent System

,----[ Quote ]
| By changing the word 'a' to 'the' and adding the phrase 'purchasable through
| a shopping cart model,' lawyers for Amazon.com have apparently managed to
| reinstate two of CEO Jeff Bezos' 1-Click Patent claims that were rejected a
| month earlier.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/22/1756237&from=rss

Patent Reformers O'Reilly, Bezos Mum on 1-Click

,----[ Quote ]
| Equally untalkative was Bezos, who deflected questions on the damage done by
| Calveley's DIY legal effort, telling a Wall Street analyst to 'refer to our
| public filings' (although nothing on the subject appears in the 8-K and 10-Q
| filings).
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/27/1144222&from=rss

USPTO Increases Scope Of Amazon's 1-Click Patent

,----[ Quote ]