[News] [Rival] Amazon and Apple Are Patenting Utter Bulls*

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Amazon and Apple Are Patenting Utter Bulls*
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 03:43:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Apple seeks patent for compactable disc adaptor

,----[ Quote ]
| That seems pretty obvious to me. Doesn't prior art in a variety of industries
| (including flat-pack furniture and telescopes) have these concepts covered?
|
| I have no fundamental problem with the idea of patents, but to my mind the
| degree of innovation behind this application is too trivial to deserve
| protection.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15474/1054/

Amazon Sneaks One-Click Past the Patent System

,----[ Quote ]
| By changing the word 'a' to 'the' and adding the phrase 'purchasable through
| a shopping cart model,' lawyers for Amazon.com have apparently managed to
| reinstate two of CEO Jeff Bezos' 1-Click Patent claims that were rejected a
| month earlier.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/11/22/1756237&from=rss

Related:

Amazon.com Launches Wireless Reader

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux-based device weighs 10.3 ounces, can store 200 titles on its 250 MB
| of onboard flash memory, and its battery can hold a charge for two days with
| the wireless feature on and seven days with it off, Amazon said. The reader
| is made by a Chinese OEM and can be purchased on Amazon.com for $399.
`----

http://sony.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=237306

Kindle sold out

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no telling if this is a consequence of consumer demand exceeding
| Amazon's forecasts as to how many people would want this thing, or if Amazon
| is taking a page out of Nintendo's book and creating a little product
| scarcity to drum up business. All I know is I got mine in the mail today, and
| I'm already in love.
|
| Flop? I think not.
`----

http://blog.blankbaby.com/blankbaby/2007/11/kindle-sold-out.html

Red Hat, Amazon deliver Linux on demand

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat made its Enterprise Linux OS available on demand Wednesday by
| releasing it for the Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud) service that hosts
| business applications. The move is part of Red Hat's so-called "automation"
| strategy, which aims to deliver a Linux and open-source infrastructure for
| simplifying how applications run and are managed.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071107/tc_infoworld/93257

Patent Reformers O'Reilly, Bezos Mum on 1-Click

,----[ Quote ]
| Equally untalkative was Bezos, who deflected questions on the damage done by
| Calveley's DIY legal effort, telling a Wall Street analyst to 'refer to our
| public filings' (although nothing on the subject appears in the 8-K and 10-Q
| filings).
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/27/1144222&from=rss

(Amazon's Open Source Strategy)
LIVE BLOG: MIT Emerging Tech (Morning)

,----[ Quote ]
| In short, Amazon.com has launched several services
| that allow small companies to leverage the powerful
| tools of a big company such as Amazon.com. For instance,
| Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2), creates a virtual
| Web-based Linux server that a small company can rent
| at 10 cents per CPU hour...  Bezos also described a
| fulfillment center service that the company offers,
| wherein a company can request both warehouse space
| and order fulfillment services for their own products.
| Amazon is literally offering distribution to their
| competitors!
|
| It is, in short, open source business strategy.
`----

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4198966.html

USPTO Increases Scope Of Amazon's 1-Click Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| It apparently found its way into the hands of a sympathetic (and impatient)
| USPTO Examiner who had earlier defended his friends for approving 1-Click
| in the first place and referred 1-Click naysayers to a letter to the WSJ
| penned by the ex-Commissioner for Patents.

Open Source Communications and SIP Come to Amazon.com

,----[ Quote ]
| If you have any doubt about the future of open source
| communications, consider it shattered: Amazon.com will soon be
| deploying 5,000 phones connected to the Pingtel ECS platform
| running on Linux.
|
| The question is why would Amazon switch out their existing PBX, and
| the answer is that the leading e-commerce site already runs about
| 20,000 Red Hat Linux servers?so they are what you might call "comfortable"
| with Linux to begin with. This install will add three more Linux
| servers to the mix.
`----

http://voipforenterprise.tmcnet.com/feature/service-solutions/articles/3008-open-source-communications-sip-come-amazoncom.htm
http://tinyurl.com/f3mnx

rPath Provides On-Ramp to Amazon Grid Services

,----[ Quote ]
| Significantly, rPath does not use Red Hat Linux for its
| virtualization onramp. "Red Hat Linux is monolithic. One size
| fits all," said Marshall. Instead, rPath lets customers (who are
| ISVs and therefore presumably know a thing or two about how
| their products use OS features) pick and choose the pieces
| that are embedded into their offerings.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=0DCA943B-1853-4C79-B98E-7C683A0CE8C5

ElasticDrive Beta 0.1.6 - Amazon S3 FileSystem

,----[ Quote ]
| Enomaly Inc has announced the release of ElasticDrive. ElasticDrive is a
| network block device based upon the Amazon S3 (Simple Storage Service).
| ElasticDrive provides a caching block device driver which pushes blocks to
| and from S3 as if they were being written to a local block device.
|
| [...]
|
| ElasticDrive provides this service through a virtual NBD service. The NBD
| service translates from standard NBD to S3 packets transparently, so that the
| client (the kernel) sees a generic block device. NBD is supported on almost
| every linux kernel (including EC2). Simply modprobe nbd, and you are ready to
| use ElasticDrive.
`----

http://opensourceblog.itproportal.com/?p=396

Steve Jobs "nicked my battery design"

,----[ Quote ]
| He apparently contacted Apple with a request for the California firm to
| change its product or else to license the patent.

iPhone's keyboard prompts patent violation suit

,----[ Quote ]
| SP Technologies filed a claim alleging that Apple has infringed on a patent
| it was granted in 2004 for a "method and medium for computer readable
| keyboard display incapable of user termination".
|
| [...]
|
| SP Technologies is seeking "reasonable royalties" from Apple, which online
| rumours have speculated could see compensation paid for each iPhone already
| sold.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08/06/apple_iphone_keyboard_patent/

Is the U.S. patent system in crisis? Apple, Google patent czars disagree

,----[ Quote ]
| Chip Lutton, Apple chief patent counsel, said at a conference at
| Stanford University that the United States patent system is not
| broken and he's not sure there's a crisis.
`----

http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybelt/2007/08/apple-google-pa.html

Microsoft infringing on one of Apple Patents?

,----[ Quote ]
| Keep in mind I am not a patent researcher, and I am sure Apple is not
| going to sue Microsoft for abusing one of their patents, but it does
| at least look like Microsoft is abusing this patent.
`----

http://www.noheat.com/2007/06/22/microsoft-infringing-on-one-of-apple-patents/

The Apple vs. Microsoft GUI Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| Without warning, Apple filed suit against Microsoft in federal court on
| March 17, 1988 for violating Apple's copyrights on the "visual displays"
| of the Macintosh. (Apple also filed suit against HP for its NewWave
| environment that ran on top of Windows 2.0.)
|
| Apple's suit included 189 contested visual displays that Apple
| believed violated its copyright.
|
| Microsoft countersued, but it failed to stem the bad publicity.
| Windows' development community was terrified that any court ordered
| changes to the software would render their products incompatiblea
| nd make Windows undesirable to consumers. Borland's CEO said itw
| as like "waking up and finding out that your partner might have
| AIDS."
`----

http://lowendmac.com/orchard/06/0825.html

Apple licenses UI tech as part of settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| Settling a patent dispute that was brewing in the District Court for
| the Eastern District of Texas with respect to certain, unnamed
| Apple products, Acacia Research has announced that Apple will
| now license specific GUI technology from its IP Innovation
| subsidiary.
`----

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/06/15/apple.licenses.ui/

Apple patents button-free mouse

,----[ Quote ]
| The new mouse does not have a scrolling ball or wheel.
`----

http://story.malaysiasun.com/index.php/ct/9/cid/d805653303cbbba8/id/248345/cs/1/

Apple's interface held to the fire in dubious suit

,----[ Quote ]
| An Illinois-based company and its Nevada partner have filed a lawsuit
| against Apple Inc., alleging that Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" treads on
| an interface patent that affects the operating system's nearly
| universal use of tabs.
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/04/21/apples_interface_held_to_the_fire_in_dubious_suit.html
http://tinyurl.com/2gqe4e

Microsoft's stolen code and IP infringements

,----[ Quote ]
| Soon, MS-DOS 6.0 was released, including the Microsoft DoubleSpace
| disk compression utility program. Stac successfully sued Microsoft
| for patent infringement regarding the compression algorithm
| used in DoubleSpace...
|
| F. Scott Deaver, owner of Failsafe Designs, says Microsoft is guilty of
| the "outright theft" of his product name and intellectual property
| (IP)...
|
| Alacritech sued Microsoft in Federal District Court on August 11,
| 2004, alleging that Microsoft's existing and future operating
| systems containing the "Chimney" TCP offload architecture uses
| Alacritech's proprietary SLIC Technology architecture...
|
| In April 2001, Intertrust initiated a lawsuit against Microsoft. The
| lawsuit ultimately accused Microsoft of infringing 11 of Intertrust's
| patents and almost 130 of the company's patent claims...
|
| Visto Corporation has filed a legal action against Microsoft for
| misappropriating Visto's intellectual property... "Microsoft has a
| long and well-documented history of acquiring the technology of
| others, branding it as their own, and entering new markets," said
| Mr. Bogosian...
|
| Telecoms company AT&T accused Microsoft of infringing its patent for
| a digital speech coder in its Window software in a lawsuit it filed
| in 2000...
|
| The likelihood of Microsoft having to pay millions of dollars in
| damages for infringing the contested Eolas patent for web browser
| technology increased last week when the US Patent and Trademark
| Office reaffirmed the patent's validity...
|
| A bitter fight has broken out between Symantec and Microsoft.
| Symantec claims that Microsoft stole code from Veritas software...
`----

http://www.openaddict.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?1385

Is Microsoft infringing upon Xerox, Apple and Unix intellectual property?

,----[ Quote ]
| Intellectual Property is a term widely abused in the software industry
| by firms such as Microsoft and SCO using it to scare people into not
| using certain products in favor of their own. This disparaging tactic
| has even been given a name: Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD). It seemst
| hat anyone nowadays can make bold, unsubstantiated claims of IP
| infringement without actually having any proof simply to hurt another
| products reputation and destroy healthy competition. In this article,
| we will explore what intellectual property is and why every computeru
| ser should care when unreputable companies abuse legal systems in
| order to gain an unfair business advantage.
`----

http://www.openaddict.com/page.php?27

http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.php?p=7365#7365

Apple's Billion Dollar Patent Bluster

,----[ Quote ]
| In our existing world of patent law, open source ideas can also come
| under threat by moneyed interests who hold patents. The accomplishments
| of free and open source collaborations often can't afford to license
| ideas that are patented, or wade through the complicated and expensive
| legal bureaucracy created to manage patents.  Patented ideas are
| proprietary by definition: proprietary simply means owned, and patents
| are granted to an owner. This creates contention and problems in the
| world of open source development, where the ownership of ideas is
| intentionally shared using licenses such as the GPL, which are
| designed to prevent exclusive control. Open source projects aren't
| the only casualties of patent warfare. Whenever a patent portfolio
| falls into the hands of attorneys hoping to fully exploit its
| potential value, the interests of both businesses and consumers
| are threatened....In such attacks, the most vulnerable are the
| unarmed: open source developers who don't even like the idea of
| software patents. Patent terror attacks on collaborative resources
| that benefit society present a major problem.
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Q4.06/F68E528C-DC9A-4B12-A064-143924EBD3F1.html

New Patents Point to Apple Phone

,----[ Quote ]