[News] Another Quiet Deployment of GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Another Quiet Deployment of GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:07:05 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Jack In The Box Runs On Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| So my local Jack In The Box has been displaying it’s penguin pride lately.
| From the other screens I saw flashing by it seems that the tv system is
| driven by a dual-core Dell running Fedora. From the badge I’d venture to say
| that its all packaged by RippleTV, good idea taking advantage of open source.
`----

http://redblackwhite.com/2007/11/19/jack-in-the-box-runs-on-linux/

Related:

The Secret Life of Embedded Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Manufacturers have to weigh sometimes competing factors when selecting
| Linux over Windows or a proprietary OS in consumer products. Often,
| the flexibility of Linux balances out those differences, sometimes
| it does not.
|
| Clearly, though, Linux's freedom and flexibility are driving the
| trend to putting Linux inside consumer products that are not
| encumbered with hardware restrictions. Manufacturers are not
| dependent on a single vendor with Linux.
|
| "Linux is a moving trend. More and more manufacturers are using
| it," concluded MontaVista's Ready.
|
| Yaghmour concurs. "Every engineer adapts it and expands the user
| base," he said. "Anybody who wants to enter the market is using
| Linux due to its low cost. It is hard to justify changing for a
| proprietary OS."
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/rsstory/56436.html

Singapore Airlines puts a PC in every seat

,----[ Quote ]
| The whole system runs on Red Hat's distribution of the Linux operating
| system.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=686973581&rid=-50

Virgin America