Re: [News] The Open Source Search Engine from Wales Nears Completion

____/ [H]omer on Thursday 22 November 2007 01:43 : \____

>> Mini-Q&A: Wikipedia Founder Explains New Search Project
>
> "E: Is this really supposed to be a Facebook/Google-killer?
> JW: I have no idea, honestly. We're just having fun right now."

Having fun/.That's how Wikipedia started. That's where innovation comes from
(and then ruined by paid-for Microsoft shills that edit Wikipedia to glorify
the robber baron).

> What is it with people thinking that one project or company has to "kill
> all others", like it is some kind of obligatory prime directive? Have we
> become a society of vile hegemonists? Does no one believe in subsistence
> and peaceful coexistence any more?

What, haven't you heard? The industry is not about cooperation. Oh, no; Not if
you go to one of today's educational establishments. Your goal is "to make the
most money that you can, no matter what's involved". Education is just a
production line for good grades, not a place for creativity.

> "Killer App", "fscking kill Google", "Facebook killers", "tip Lotus into
> the death spiral", "knife the baby"; kill, kill, kill - it's disgusting.
> Is it any wonder that there are so many nutters running about in schools
> shooting everybody? They think the only way to survive is to destroy. It
> has become endemic in US society thanks to the corruption of corporatist
> indoctrination, and a political system run by xenophobic narcissists.

Monkey do, monkey does. It ought to change.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has warned Google to steer clear of corporate search,
| declaring that the market is "our house"....
|
| "Those people are not going to be allowed to take food off our plate,
| because that is what they are intending to do."
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2160431/microsoft-warns-google-business

Of course, we can all sympathise with Microsoft, can't we? I mean, what's their
market share like in this space? Like 98%?

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
Thanks for tuning in.
Swap:  1510068k total,   759848k used,   750220k free,    56760k cached