[News] Stopping Exploitation of Programmers (and Writers)

  • Subject: [News] Stopping Exploitation of Programmers (and Writers)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 03:05:18 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Closing open source loopholes

,----[ Quote ]
| While GPLv3 originally set out to tackle the issue of software patents,
| another loophole emerged with the Microsoft-Novell partnership a year ago,
| adding some urgency and significance to the issue. To avoid passing its
| promise not to pursue patent-based legal action onto all Linux users,
| Microsoft gave its promise directly to SUSE Linux customers. GPLv3
| grandfathered the clever deal, but again, the license would prevent a similar
| arrangement today.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/21/closing-open-source-loopholes/

The Artful Writer - Best Video I've Seen Yet

,----[ Quote ]
| ...this video pretty much blows that argument out of the water—and the
| brilliant part is that it does it with the CEO’s own words.
`----

http://artfulwriter.com/archives/2007/11/best-video-ive.html

This is about how Big Media uses the artists/writers for its own benefit
without giving anything back.

Related:

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

.----
| The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free
| CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn
| widespread criticism from music retailers.
`----

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

Why popstars are going it alone

,----[ Quote ]
| Music industry lobby groups have long been among the most vocal advocates of
| copyright reform, urging governments worldwide to prioritise intellectual
| property protection.
|
| [...]
|
| Last week, Radiohead released its latest CD without copy-controls on its
| website under a pay-as-you like system (Canada's Issa - formerly known as
| Jane Siberry - has successfully employed a similar approach for many years).
|
| The Radiohead announcement has unleashed a stunning series of follow-up
| moves - reports indicate that Nine Inch Nails, Oasis, Jamiroquai, the
| Charlatans, and Madonna have either left or are ready to leave their record
| labels in search of greater commercial success through live performances,
| merchandise sales, and other online innovation that may include free
| distribution of their music.

Prisoner of Redmond:  Yet Another Way Paul Allen Isn't Like You or Me

,----[ Quote ]
| Robert X. Cringely reveals the true reason why Paul Allen of Microsoft fame
| left the Redmond company, even though it was on track to become an
| extremely valuable stock. Considering Microsoft's track record and behavior
| over the years, this should not be surprising, but if true it is beyond
| pall!
|
| [...]
|
| There are hundreds of Microsoft millionaires (and even a few
| Microsoft billionaires) in the suburbs of Seattle. [Roy: there used to be a
| blurb here about their retirement and guilt, due to ethics]
|
| [...]
|
| During one of those last long nights working to deliver DOS 2.0 in
| early 1983, I am told that Paul Allen heard Gates and Ballmer discussing
| his health and talking about how to get his Microsoft shares back if
| Allen were to die.
|
| Maybe that's just the sort of fiduciary discussion board members have to
| have, but it didn?t go over well with Paul Allen, who never returned to
| Microsoft, and over the next eight years, made huge efforts to secure
| his wealth from the fate of Microsoft.

How Microsoft dealt with GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| It appears that the standard operating procedure for Microsoft will be to
| send open sourced partners into the GPLv3 car park.
`----

http://www.builderau.com.au/blogs/betaliving/viewblogpost.htm?p=339270849

Novell and open source's long memory

,----[ Quote ]
| If Novell's Linux business continues to grow, and it does this without the
| crutch of Microsoft, people will forgive and forget...slowly. In the
| meantime, Novell can't pretend that it's loved by the open-source community.
| The Microsoft deal did far too much damage to its credibility to expect that.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9772683-16.html

Open source doesn’t forget

,----[ Quote ]