[News] New Startup Revolves Around Linux Server and Storage

  • Subject: [News] New Startup Revolves Around Linux Server and Storage
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:15:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Start-up turns Linux servers into virtual storage

,----[ Quote ]
| The VSN software aggregates the disk storage on commodity Linux servers to
| provide one or more virtual file systems. The software configures one Control
| Node with as many as several hundred Storage Nodes, where each node is a
| server.
`----

http://www.infostor.com/display_article/311329/23/ARTCL/none/none/1/Start-up-turns-Linux-servers-into-virtual-storage/

Related:

Distributed Storage Subsystem Headed For -mm

,----[ Quote ]
| Andrew Morton responded favorably to Evgeniy Polyakov's most recent release
| of his distributed storage subsystem,
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Distributed_Storage_Subsystem_Headed_For_-mm

Cleversafe Launches DSGrid File System

,----[ Quote ]
| The Cleversafe project, developers of the world's first open source
| Dispersed Storage software, has launched a new open source project, called
| the DSGrid File System (dsgfs), to allow a dispersed storage grid to appear
| as a mountable file system for Linux-based software applications.
|
| [...]
|
| ...Using the dsgfs, users will be able to seamlessly store data on
| the Cleversafe Research Storage Grid, on a commercial grid or on a grid
| they build themselves. dsgfs initially will support various versions
| of Linux, including Debian, Fedora and CentOS.
|
| "This new project means that most Linux-based applications will now be
| able to seamlessly take advantage of the benefits of dispersed storage,
| which include security, reliability and privacy,? said John Quigley,
| dsgfs project lead. "Cleversafe is inviting organizations and individualst
| o freely participate in the project."
`----

http://www.gridtoday.com/grid/875634.html

Microsoft underscores the fallacies of Microsoft's distributed computing

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/08/microsoft-underscores-fallacies-of.html