Re: [News] Sony PS3 Opens up More to Developers

<posted & mailed>

____/ Jerry McBride on Wednesday 21 November 2007 00:37 : \____

> Mark Kent wrote:

>>> Sony cuts fees for PS3 game developers
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071119/ap_on_hi_te/japan_playstation
>>>
>>> Some forums have recently been talking about hacks that give Linux access
>>> to the GPU.
>>>

>> It's inevitable, and in the end, will benefit both Sony and their PS3,
>> as well as users generally.
>>

> I agree with you, but I really, really hope Sony does the right thing and
> open up the hardware before it's hacked open. It would lend an air of
> anointment from the originator (Sony).
>

> Cheers...
>
> Imagine someday running Quake Team Arena III natively on the PS3? Simply
> awesome and my son, his friends and me would invest heavily in the PS3
> platform. Right now though, it's still a curiosity to us.

I don't think they'll do it any time soon. Linux gamers would 'steal' these
machines as soon as they reach the shelves. Ypu're taking about super-powerful
machines with a Blu-Ray drive (home cinema equipment) that Sony sells at a
loss. They are assuming that you would buy games and other stuff, such as
services. To an extent, the same goes for XBox|360, but there's not even an
HDDVD drive.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | if ("if"=inv("fi")) print("foo/bar")
         run-level 2  2007-10-30 19:49                   last=