[News] [Rival] Microsoft Once Again Forced to Admit Faulty CD Epidemic

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Once Again Forced to Admit Faulty CD Epidemic
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 08:54:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
MS admits Halo 3 'disc unreadable' errors

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has refused to reveal the cause behind a fresh wave of disc
| problems affecting Halo 3. The company told Register Hardware that it's aware
| of a problem which stops the game from loading correctly, but refused to give
| any further explanation.
|
| Exact descriptions of the disc error differ between gamers, but all of them
| who've encountered the issue report being presented with a message that says
| the disc is unreadable and can't be loaded.
`----

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/10/08/microsoft_halo3_disc_error/

Not the first time.

Related:

Halo 3 is a short affair, it has game save bugs and the console breaks

,----[ Quote ]
| Prior to playing the game, we'd noted several reviews of increasingly high
| score - and as these have proliferated around the Internet, we were expecting
| a treat.
|
| Which is why we're disappointed.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/07/halo-rrods-game-save-bugs

Microsoft admits scratch problem with Xbox 360

,----[ Quote ]
| There hasn't been much discussion on the fact that the problem exists
| by consumers, but untill now Microsoft has always somewhat denied the
| problem and never proposed a solution.
|
| The Dutch television show Kassa, which deals with customer complaints,
| has been nagging Microsoft about this problem for several weeks, they
| did tests with Xbox360 setups and filmed (and proofed) that the Xbox360
| is indeed responsible for scratching game discs, when not moved, placed
| on a stable table and under the best possible conditions.
|
| [...]
|

| The television show also reported that while this issue is now an issue
| in the Netherlands (it is also widely covered in regular news), it
| could become a global problem for Microsoft in the future. Therefore
| I would recommend anyone who is facing the same problem to contact
| their local Microsoft office and point them to this article.
`----

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/Microsoft-admits-scratch-problem-with-Xbox-360.html

Gears of War disc errors - why the hell is no one covering this?

,----[ Quote ]
| So, we're all just 'unlucky' Mark? Thanks for that. I'm happy for you
| and your console, but what about us? Where are we supposed to turn to
| for help and support? Microsoft wasn't very helpful (ref #102-379-2964)
| any of the times I've called them (I think it's up to three now for the
| same issue - perhaps I'll call again today and check on an update).
|
| All I know is that if I see that dreaded error message again on my new
| 360 I am going to go absolutely ballistic!!!
`----

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=7626298&publicUserId=5551391

European commission investigates XBOX 360 failures

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems that Microsoft can't catch a break these days what with
| Vista still failing miserably and apparently so are XBOX 360's.
|
| [...]
|
| There are upwards of 1,000 complaints from the Netherlands alone
| which is going up every day. The commissioner not only wants
| answers from Microsoft Europe but from other markets as well
| and a bulleted list of all issues and problems known in
| those markets.
`----

http://gamer.blorge.com/2007/06/01/european-commission-investigates-xbox-360-failures/

What is the real failure rate of the Xbox 360?

,----[ Quote ]
| We asked Game, one of the largest console retailers in the UK.
| "That's not information we're able to give out. It's commercially
| sensitive," it said. As for Microsoft, in the early days after the
| console's 2005 launch it claimed that failure rates were no higher
| than an industry average of between 3% and 5%. That now seems
| wildly optimistic.
|
| Last month, its vice-president of entertainment, Peter Moore,
| refused to answer the question, telling the Mercury News: "I
| can't comment on failure rates." According to Moore, if someone
| has a faulty console they should worry about the customer service.
`----

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,2091221,00.html

360 failure rates at 61%?

,----[ Quote ]
| Over at XBox 360 Gamer they have refused to buy Microsoft?s claimed
| 4-5% failure rates and instead opted to create their own poll which
| yielded shocking results. At the time of writing there have been
| 3780 submissions and 2355 comments resulting in claimed failure
| rates of 61%.
|
| There is no avoiding the fact that there is likely to be a negative
| skew to the poll, angry gamers are more likely to vent than satisfied
| gamers. That said 61% is a huge number and even if its half that 30%
| is a far cry from the 4-5% Microsoft would like us to believe.
`----

http://www.quicksavejunkie.com/2007/05/23/360-failure-rates-at-61/

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against MS For Bricked 360s

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Gamespot, the suit seeks a minimum of $10 million in
| damages, depending on how MS decides to defend itself.
`----

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/law/class-action-lawsuit-filed-against-ms-for-bricked-360s-220250.php

Numerous Reports, November 30 Xbox 360 Update Is Bricking Consoles

,----[ Quote ]
| Some consoles are being bricked by Thursday's dashboard update.
| Issues range from freezing, red ring of death and VGA adapterm
| alfunction. Microsoft isn't acknowledging the issue and billing
| $140 for repairs.
`----

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Numerous_Reports_November_30_Xbox_360_Update_Is_Bricking_Consoles

Update brick your 360? Speak up

,----[ Quote ]
| Since yesterday's update, there are numerous reports about 360s
| being bricked. Some people suspect that this is being done by
| Microsoft intentionally to stop modders and hackers. Xbox Scene
| thinks it has more to do with certain combinations of hardware
| and firmware.
`----

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/11/01/update-brick-your-360-speak-up/

Autoupdate killed my 360!