[News] Novell Gets Greedy (Wants OpenOffice.org for Itself)

  • Subject: [News] Novell Gets Greedy (Wants OpenOffice.org for Itself)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 04:32:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OpenOffice.org Tipping Point?

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a shame Michael has chosen now - a turning point in OpenOffice.org and a
| moment when Sun has radically improved the SCA in response to broad feedback
| from many communities - as a time to mount a fresh challenge to Sun that by
| implication also harms OpenOffice.org. And when you distill out all the
| details, that's what this turns out to be even by Michael's admission - a
| competitive issue, not a community one.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/webmink/entry/sca_r_office

OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenOffice.org is hugely important to the Open Source community, so this is
| an important discussion. I think that an OpenOffice.org Foundation makes the
| most sense in this case, but I could see a general argument for maintaining
| company control (at least in some cases). What do you think?
|
| One final comment. I forget sometimes how difficult a position Sun has put
| themselves in after years of being schizo about Open Source. For the last
| couple of years they have done some truly awesome things, yet they continue
| to take a beating in the community. I wonder how long it is until some will
| think they have paid their dues. With some of the OpenSolaris vs. Linux
| posturing that is sure to come (more comments on that soon) my guess is that
| Sun may not get the credit they deserve for some time.
`----

http://jeremy.linuxquestions.org/2007/09/24/openofficeorg/

Related:

Questions I'd like to see asked about the Microsoft-Novell deal

,----[ Quote ]
| The questions asked as part of this study were about as open-ended
| and wishy-washy as you could get. Researchers asked customers
| deploying a mix of Windows, SuSE Linux and Red Hat Linux whether
| they were in favor of more vendor interoperability. They asked
| customers if they believed it would be helpful if Microsoft
| worked more closely with Linux vendors. They asked whether they
| approved of the Microsoft-Novell collaboration. And they
| questioned whether users "take responsibility for the
| intellectual property in the products they ship."
|
| The only question on PSB's list that I found remotely interesting
| was whether users would be any more likely to buy SuSE Linux as a
| result of the Microsoft-Novell deal. Sixty-nine percent said yes.
| (I'm actually surprised this number isn't higher.)
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=145

Office 2007's Confusion Mode

,----[ Quote ]
| So Microsoft clearly loves multiple Microsoft document formats! (Discuss
| among yourselves whether this love is amour de soi or amour propre.) But what
| about other, standard formats?
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/09/office-2007s-confusion-mode.html

Microsoft playing three card monte with XML conversion

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=959