Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

On 2007-10-04, Rick <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:39:02 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> If Mac OS had a Linux Kernel....
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In my opinion, if it were to happen - Microsoft wouldn't even stand a
>> chance | on the desktop market.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.jameshooker.com/sitev3/?p=72
>>

>> Recent:
>>
>> Wozniak hates Open Sauce
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | In an interview with eWeek, Woz said that there are always people who
>> want | things to be free and the open-source movement starts with those
>> sort of | people.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theinquirer.net/en/inquirer/news/2007/09/25/wozniak-hates-
> open-sauce
>

> I think there may be some misunderstandings going on. It seems Woz
> doesn't like the "everything has to be free ($0) mentality", not the
> freedom of the code. He used to pass out his code.

	When you have an entrenched monopoly, that can continually decide
to add yet something else to the core OS install, there really isn't any
other option. For all practical purposes, Microsoft puts everyone else in
the position of "competing against something that's free".

	This is more relevant to the question of whether or not Linux
users should be expected to pay for Motif or OpenGL than issues of
politics or philosophy.

--
	Oracle... can't live with it...                          |||
                                                                / | \