[News] [Rival] Microsoft's So-called "anti-Linux Jihad" Continues

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's So-called "anti-Linux Jihad" Continues
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 20:22:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft's risky, misleading ad campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| Campbell's so slick, I wouldn't be surprised to see him out hitting the
| campaign trail for Microsoft's OOXML efforts.
|
| Regardless, there are still uneducated people that think of open source and
| Linux as one open-source project as "science projects" and "risky."
| Apparently they think it's less risky to give away control of their IT to a
| vendor based on a few flashy demos from a sales engineer. They will learn in
| time.
|
| For now, repeat after me: The real risk is in proprietary software. Period.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9791652-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Shills, crookes, and big Lies.

Related:

Some New FUD Is Born - And a New Wallpaper for Edubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| I can usually tell what the new Microsoft anti-Linux FUD is by reading what
| Rob Enderle writes.
|
| [...]
|
| I thought about all this today because of this article, "Sparks Fly As Linux
| Kernel Guy Quits In a Huff," by Alexander Wolfe on Information Week, part of
| his theme song on "Reasons Why Linux Won't Succeed on the Desktop." You wish.
|
| [...]
|
| Has Information Week declared a jihad against Linux or something?

The following article has been pulled for some reason...

Microsoft-sponsored security symposium's cause brain damage, claims security
expert

.----[ Quote ]
| In a revelation that will come as a surprise to many today, a
| security expert, who wishes to remain anonymous because he doesn't
| exist, claims that attending Microsoft sponsored events, such as
| the recent security symposium at Santa Clara University, can cause
| irreversible brain damage in the attendees, making them inclined to
| spout gibberish.
|
| Dave Cullinane, eBay's chief information and security officer, was
| the first victim to be diagnosed with the debilitating condition,
| by local medical practitioner - Dr. Fraud, and panic quickly
| ensued, causing various attending members of the press to become
| spontaneously affected.
|
| "It's a form of hysteria", said Dr. Fraud whilst scratching his
| testicles. "The pathology of this disease is fascinating, it
| appears to spread orally at first, but subsequently mutates into a
| form that can even travel along electronic pathways."
|
| Meanwhile there are rumours that the FDA and local law enforcement
| officials may be called in, to investigate an allegation that the
| epidemic was started deliberately by an unnamed Microsoft
| employee, a known carrier of the disease, who introduced the viral
| agent by urinating in the wine.
|
| Steve Blamer, Microsoft's CEO, was not available for comment at the
| time of publication.
`----

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22157508-2,00.html

ToorCon ("Firefox security is a mess") sponsored by Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Lately, I read the headline: "Open Source browser Firefox is so
| critically flawed that it is impossible to fix, according to two
| hackers." Further on, in the ZDNet article I read: "The hackers claim
| they know of about 30 unpatched Firefox flaws. They don't plan to
| disclose them, instead holding onto the bugs."
|
| Since that sounds suspicious, I decided to start searching for
| connections with MS. Easy enough, here it is...

Linux phishing botnet statistics can be deceptive

,----[ Quote ]
| There are some problems with such assumptions based on that statement,
| however:
|
|    1. Each phishing site does not necessarily imply an individual machine...
|    2. A phishing site does not imply the box was rootkitted...
|    3. Phishing botnets that targeted Washington Mutual are by no means the
|       sum total of phishing sites...
|    4. Phishing sites are not the same as botnet nodes. No, really — this is
|       the biggest problem with the obvious assumptions here.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=296

A response to that FUD piece, "Linux Still Doesn't Make it On Desktop", from
Microsoft Shill, Michael Gartenberg

http://slated.org/linux_still_doesnt_make_it_on_desktop_is_pure_fud

Effective evangelism

http://antitrust.slated.org/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/3000/PX03096.pdf

Evangelist Gartenberg back to being analyst

,----[ Quote ]
| After only three weeks at Microsoft as an "evangelist," Michael
| Gartenberg is returning to his old job as vice president and
| research director at JupiterResearch.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6165381.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Microsoft upgrades Zune players to challenge Apple iPods

,----[ Quote ]
| "It's a nice evolutionary development to the product line," said Jupiter
| Research analyst Michael Gartenberg.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071003/tc_afp/lifestyleitinternetmusicfilmcompanymicrosoft

Microsoft Xbox to Join the Battle for Video Downloading

,----[ Quote ]
| Editors' Note: November 10, 2006, Friday An article in Business Day
| on Tuesday described a decision by Microsoft to offer movies and
| episodes of television shows for downloading through its Xbox Live
| online service in the United States.
|
| The article quoted Rob Enderle, principal analyst at the Enderle
| Group, discussing the features that set Xbox Live service apart
| and its position in the market.
|
| But the article did not note that Mr. Enderle had Microsoft as a client,
| a fact later pointed out by a reader. Mr. Enderle does consulting work
| for several of Microsoft's product groups, though not for the one
| developing the Xbox; still, had The Times known of Mr. Enderle's work
| for Microsoft, it would not have sought out his opinion on the product.
`----

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F50713F83A5B0C748CDDA80994DE404482
http://tinyurl.com/y3avsv

NY Times bans Microsoft analysts from Microsoft stories

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/12/15/nytimes_ms_ban/