Re: [News] People Move to Linux, Done with Windows (Even Patents)

____/ [H]omer on Friday 05 October 2007 18:03 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
>> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on Fri, 05 Oct 2007 03:30:16 +0100
>>  <47674134.CbHQpQj0RX@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>> Microsoft too busy to name Linux patents
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/24/microsoft_novell_patents/
>>>

>> Paperwork?
>>
>> PAPERWORK???
>>
>> They won't reveal them because of *administrative paperwork????*
>
> If you read between the lines of that paperwork, you'll see:
>
> "Go away, we're too busy (grumble, grumble)."
>
> IOW they are full of it.

It's exactly the vanity that characterises the Leaping Monkey and that other
anti-social (or sociopath) guy.

Recall what was said:
Cringely the Unemployable on the fallacy of Web 2.0, Microsoft ruthlessness,
and the CB radio of our decade

,----[ Quote ]
| Davidson: Which software company would you hate to compete against? What
| makes you single them out?
|
| Cringely: Microsoft of course. They have the deepest of pockets, unlimited
| ambition, and they are willing to lose money for years and years just to make
| sure that you don't make any money, either. And they are mean, REALLY mean.
|
| Davidson: Why do you think Microsoft is mean? Are you implying some kind of
| malicious intent rather than just ruthlessness?
|
| Cringely: Maybe "mean" is the wrong word to use for Microsoft. "Ruthless" is
| good. The company is built in the image of Bill Gates and Bill is a guy who
|       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| gets caught-up in the game of business and doesn't typically see its personal
| cost. To use what might seem to be an obscure example, just look at all the
| various partnerships and industry consortia that Microsoft has announced
| through the years that never produced a product or even a usable
| specification. There have been literally dozens of these operations that are
| intended solely to freeze the competition until Microsoft can figure what the
| heck it actually wants to do. To Microsoft its a PR exercise that helps them
| compete but to customers it is just a damned lie. That's ruthless. There are
| plenty of other examples I can give but you get the point. I represent the
| concerns of users, not vendors, and Microsoft doesn't really care about
| users.
`----

http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

Now read these:

Microsoft Memories

,----[ Quote ]
| At some point in your presentation billg will say "that's the dumbest
| fucking idea I've heard since I've been at Microsoft."  He looks like
| he means it.  However, since you knew he was going to say this, you
| can't really let it faze you.  Moreover, you can't afford to look
| fazed; remember: he's a bully.
`----

http://blog.tomevslin.com/2007/05/microsoft_memor.html

The Narcissistic CEO

,----[ Quote ]
| The desire to change the system is a defining element of narcissism.
| And while it can be inspirational to work for someone like that,
| interacting with a narcissist CEO can be torture. Don't expect praise.
| Get used to hearing the word "I." And be able to take lots of harshly
| worded criticism.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/08/28/business-basics-narcissist-ceos-cx_t...

Reminds me of some stories about Gates' personality. Among them (which I can
quickly find):

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxextremist.com/?p=12

,----[ Quote ]
| In my BillG review meeting, the whole reporting hierarchy was there,
| along with their cousins, sisters, and aunts, and a person who came
| along from my team whose whole job during the meeting was to keep an
| accurate count of how many times Bill said the F word. The lower the
| f***-count, the better.
|
| [...]
|
| Four," announced the f*** counter, and everyone said, "wow, that's the
| lowest I can remember. Bill is getting mellow in his old age." He was,
| you know, 36.
|
| Later I had it explained to me. "Bill doesn't really want to review
| your spec, he just wants to make sure you've got it under control. His
| standard M.O. is to ask harder and harder questions until you admit that
| you don't know, and then he can yell at you for being unprepared. Nobody
| was really sure what happens if you answer the hardest question he can
| come up with because it's never happened before."

Maybe it's just a language culture in the board...

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://battellemedia.com/archives/001835.php

,----[ Quote ]
| 'Got a call from Gary Perez (our OEM HP Acct Mgr) this morning. They
| are telling HP that they will NOT be part of this launch and that
| BillG has said "fxxk HP (all divisions) if they won't sign a
| Windows license."'
`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/5000/PX05099.pdf

Don't get me started on Ballmer. Actually, FWIW, here's some Ballmer lunacy:

How To Make A Microserf Smile

,----[ Quote ]
| When Ballmer floated the HR job in April, 2005, Brummel said: No way. But
| Ballmer wasn't about to take no for an answer. Picking up a traveling golf
| putter, the Microsoft chief started taking it apart as he barreled around
| Brummel's office, hammering home why she was the perfect candidate. As an
| outsider unsullied by HR dogma, he said, she'd bring a fresh approach.
| Besides, Ballmer argued, Brummel was hugely popular and had the people skills
| to get the job done. The two went back and forth, with Ballmer slapping
| Brummel's whiteboard for emphasis and Brummel parrying with: "But I love
| doing products." After more than two hours, Ballmer ended the meeting. By
| then the putter was in pieces. "Sorry about the golf club," he said.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/07_37/b4049065.htm

Behavior May Suggest We're Not Only Human

,----[ Quote ]
| When Emory University primatologist Frans de Waal read a news story that
| said Microsoft's chief executive, Steve Ballmer, had hurled a chair
| across the room on hearing an employee was going to work for rival
| Google, the scientist immediately made a connection with his own
| research: "When I see such behavior, I think of a chimpanzee."
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/18/AR2007031801130.html?nav=rss_nation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballmer#Public_persona

Beyond the PC: Ballmer's Battle Plan

,----[ Quote ]
| "The word 'intense' was invented for Ballmer, who met with us in a
| green room that had a paper sign with his name taped to the door.
| While he was at first warm and engaging, a question about security
| features shifted his mood. His eyes, soft when he smiles, grew dark.
| The usually boisterous Ballmer became unexpectedly quiet and soon
| exited the room without saying goodbye. Still, he had a lot to
| say to SmartMoney senior writer Dyan Machan before he did.
`----

http://www.smartmoney.com/mag/ceo/index.cfm?story=april2007

Is it surprising that the company has turned into some kind of a pet mafia that
is offered protection by the government?

Ribbon-type shortcuts in Palm handhelds leads to SMS talk. We must we
abbreviate?
         run-level 2  2007-09-10 01:53                   last=