[News] Linspire's KlikIt Community Expands

  • Subject: [News] Linspire's KlikIt Community Expands
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:05:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Little Engine That Could

,----[ Quote ]
| I was as upset about this deal as many others were. I even had a phone call
| with Kevin Carmony regarding the matter.
|
| Well, at one point on the forums, Kevin Carmony told some upset members that
| if they did not like the way things were, they can start their own distro and
| see how it goes. So, former Freespire Leadership Board member Chris Medico
| assembled a team, of which I was honored to be asked to be a part of, which
| he lovingly calls Freedom Force. Within weeks, this new project, based on
| Kubuntu, had an Alpha. The project is called KlikIt Linux.
|
| We decided community is as important, if not more important, than technology.
|
| Anyway, within a short time our community grew to 50, then 100, then more. It
| has not grown by us marketing. It has been organic word of mouth in Microsoft
| Software forums, Xandros Foums, Linspire, PCLOS, Mint, Kubuntu, etc. The word
| keeps spreading, people like it, and they like the community.
`----

http://www.marcelgagne.com/node/529

Related:

Tomorrow GPLv3 is Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Carmony asked a question, will Linux split in two factions? The answer
| is no. Some Linux distros will limp along a while and then die off,
| because they misunderstood what folks want when they choose GNU/Linux
| and FOSS. You can see that already. Red Hat, which refused to sign any
| such deal, is flourishing, for example. It's not about code that "just
| works". Apple offers that already. It's the freedom. And we've proven
| willing to put up with some temporary frustration in order to get it.
| In time, FOSS will win, and all those proprietary codecs and everything
| else will be made available on pleasanter terms, because market share
| does that.

Linspire Announces Availability of Open XML Translator for Linspire, Freespire

,----[ Quote ]
| Linspire, Inc., developer of the Linspire commercial and Freespire community
| desktop Linux operating systems, today announced the immediate availability
| of the Open XML Translator within their latest released Freespire and
| Linspire products.
`----

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-07-11-010-26-NW-DT-MS

Linspire deal: What will ESR and Shuttleworth do now?

,----[ Quote ]