[News] OpenOffice.org and Symphony Compared

  • Subject: [News] OpenOffice.org and Symphony Compared
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 09:51:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
OpenOffice vs. Lotus Symphony

,----[ Quote ]
| Given that OpenOffice.org is more fully-featured, makes few hardware demands
| and is under a free license, replacing it with Symphony seems pointless.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/article.php/3703501

Sweet Symphony is out of tune with OOo

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, Symphony is a more usable OpenOffice.org. In fact, for a casual,
| first-time user, Lotus Symphony is nothing like OpenOffice.org. It flawlessly
| renders complex documents created with Microsoft Office, correctly
| identifying all comments and their authors, tracking all changes, and
| importing and implementing styles.
|
| [...]
|
| But while IBM might be taking the format war to Microsoft with Lotus
| Symphony, it's doing so in the worst possible manner for OpenOffice.org.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119596

Related:

Free IBM Software Is Bid to Challenge Microsoft Office

,----[ Quote ]
| The IBM package, called Symphony, can be downloaded free of charge. The home
| edition of Microsoft's Office lists for $120 on Internet retail sites. IBM
| will also give away the Symphony software to customers who buy the latest
| version of its Notes collaboration software, which costs $145 per user.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119007597680930576.html

IBM to lift lid on its OpenOffice plans next week

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1406