Re: [News] What if Mac OS X Was Built upon Linux?

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Barb Dwyer
<dwyer@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 4 Oct 2007 16:32:39 -0400
<470541f3$0$26462$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Barb Dwyer
>> <dwyer@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote
>> on Thu, 4 Oct 2007 15:56:34 -0400
>> <4705397f$0$26455$88260bb3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>>>
>>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> So... what if it was?  Exactly what benefits would MacOS get from a linux
>>> kernel compared to the current BSD kernel?
>>>
>>> Answer: None.
>>>

>>> About as relevant and intriguing as the age old question of "What if
>>> concrete were brown - How would that change the world?"
>>>

>> One might also phrase the related question:
>>
>>   "If Windows had a Linux kernel".
>
> Would it make a difference? AFAIK the primary problem with Windows is

Problem?  It's an *advantage*.

> security. But I don't believe that the Windows kernel is the weak-link in
> the security model.

No, there is no weak link.  Or haven't you heard?
Most viruses are coming from rooted Linux boxes, and
the headers are sent to mimic authentic Windows boxes.

It's a conspiracy to make Windows look bad.

> It's the apps that people typically run as Administrator
> that causes the problem. You could probably stick any
> sort of kernel you wanted underneath the user apps but as
> long as people continue to visit porn sites using IE while
> logged in as Administrator then the security problem is
> going to remain.

Well, that's true enough -- but remember, in Linux it's
called "root".  Not "Administrator".  Otherwise you'll
just confuse people.

Also, Linux users rarely use IE.  Say "Firefox" instead.

Once you get the FUDLingo(tm) straight, that graph will
uptick and Vista will take only 4 years instead of 4.5 to
replace every last copy of XP, FreeDOS, Linux/x86, ...

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #23291:
void f(item *p) { if(p != 0) delete p; }