[News] The Economist Defends the 'Linux Development Model'

  • Subject: [News] The Economist Defends the 'Linux Development Model'
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 05:23:54 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Don’t invent, evolve

,----[ Quote ]
| The inventor’s trial-and-error approach can be automated by software that
| mimics natural selection
`----

http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9896323

Related:

Virtually clean

,----[ Quote ]
| The smart thing to do is run a version of the free Linux operating system—
| like Knoppix or Kubuntu—in a virtual machine facing the outside world.
`----

http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9869417

Peaks, valleys and vistas

,----[ Quote ]
| The launch of a new version of Microsoft Windows, called Vista, is
| not quite the event it used to be. Has the software giant reached
| the pinnacle of its power?
|
| [...]
|
| Some big companies do have the wealth and talent to remain
| competitive even as their industry lurches from one incarnation
| to the next--IBM has done it before, moving from hardware to
| services. Now its old partner probably has to do the same. The
| primacy of Windows and Office is waning, even if Microsoft's
| immediate power is not. "Icebergs melt", as one Silicon Valley
| veteran notes. "But they melt extremely slowly."
`----

http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=8550569

Bringing free software down to earth

,----[ Quote ]
| Around 80m smartphones were sold last year, up 20% from 2005, and
| Linux is the fastest-growing operating system in the field. "My
| hope is not just that we can achieve parity with the proprietary
| world, but that we can leapfrog it," says Mr Shuttleworth.
`----

http://economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9249327

Hello world - Avoiding punitive roaming charges abroad

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=9531007