Re: Why does Roy Schestowitz list Windows and Visual Basic skills on his resume?

Linonut wrote:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> But look at those apps.  Ugh.
>>
>> For instance, static screen capture utilities: Windows has SnagIt
>> http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp (I use it often), MacOS
>> has Snapz ProX http://ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/, and Linux
>> has KDE KSnapshot or gnome-screenshot.
>
> And GIMP (doesn't cost $40 or $70 per single-user license, either).

SnagIt easily pays for itself in a day - or less if you're doing lots of
screenshots.  I just put together a 40-page document, with basically one
screenshot per page, and it was a lifesaver.

> You can also use import (from the ImageMagick package) to capture
> windows or portions of the screen from the command-line.
>
> And there are a lot more OSS options out there, including scripting to
> combine applications.

Command lines and scripting for screenshot capture?  Linonut, you're
brainwashed and owned by the OSS Combine.

See, the world wants an easy-to-use screenshot capture tool - like SnagIt -
that lets you quickly and easily capture the whole screen or various
sections, then offers a bunch of cool features to enhance the screenshot for
use in websites and documents, etc.

>> You have to pay for SnagIt and Snapz Pro, but not for KSnapshot...
>> and you definitely get what you pay for.
>
> You wasted your money, dude.  Hell, you could simply hit
> Shfit-Print-Screen and get most of what you need pasting it into Paint
> or some other image editor.

Most isn't good enough.  Download a free SnagIt trial and learn how to use
it and you'll never be that ignorant agin.  And your
screenshot/documentation productivity will shoot up!

>> Speak for yourself and your band of merry men, 'cause the world is
>> most definitely not moving on to Linux.
>
> Actually, the tech world seems to be moving on to Linux.

You've been reading too much Roy Schestowitz and cola.

> Who cares, though, if a large number of people don't want to use it,
> as long as those who do want to, can.

Agreed.  And we'll get along fine as long as you don't lie like 7 and claim
Windows is finished and everyone's transitioning to Linux.  It's just not
true.  It's not true in the server room, and it's not true on the desktop,
and it's not true in the game lounge.

> Those who want to pay good money for stock functionality still have
> that option.

SnagIt for Windows and Snapz ProX for MacOS don't offer stock functionality.
They offer superior functionality, that you can't even get in the open
source world.

> While you're tossing money around, flick a couple of Benjamins my way.

Monday my huge (33-1/3%) billing rate increase went into effect!  So if I'm
feeling charitable I may toss a few bucks at some open source project.