Re: Linux Shows Double-digit Growth, Google Poised to Join This Party

On Oct 3, 6:12 am, AHappyCamper <@thelandfill.com> wrote:
> Linonut wrote:
> > After takin' a swig o' grog, DFS belched out this bit o' wisdom:

> >> All of a sudden Linux market share CAN be measured, and NetApps is suddenly
> >> a valid source of Linux data.
>
> >> You bozos change your story about as often as you change your distros.
>
> > Person A saying X and Person B saying Y isn't "changing stories".
>
> Careful with that data!  How browsers report their OS is subject to the
> whim of the user who inputs that data in the reporting option!
> " Net Applications samples operating system data from visitors to a network
>
> of some 40,000 websites scattered around the world, a method that tends
> to skew
>
> results toward computers that are heavily used and away from those that are
>
> gathering dust. It is less a measure of market share than of active
> installed
>
> base.
>
> Many Linux and BSD OS users report their system to be a Microsoft one.
>
> Also, to quote, it is more an indicator of "web user base".
>
> More importantly, the huge number of Corporate network, Clustering
> systems, and servers, that are in the 76 percentile of all web servers,
> are ignored!
>
> What was it that was intended to be measured, again?
>
> Hey, are they counting the servers at the school systems in at least 41
> states, whose school Boards have endorsed GNU/Linux?  Coubtful that the
> millions of desktops that switched to GNU/Linux counted but report
> themselves to be Microsoft systems for ease of use on IE only websites
> are even counted properly.
>
> The figures are probably skewed by an unfathomable amount! Is Google
> counted (Linux on a million servers)?  Yahoo (FreeBSD on hundreds of
> thousands of servers)?  Microsoft.com on at least 15,000 leased Akamai
> Linux Servers?  Hotmail.com on it's 15,000 BSD servers?  The Sandia
> National Labs Beowulf Cluster of >10,000 processors, running GNU/Linux?
>
> Who is left out of the tally?:
>
>  *  8The workstations and servers of industry, assembly, like the
> 480,000 desktops and servers at IBM. How many, since 2004, have switched
> to Linux in that corporate plan to cut license fees paid to MS?
>
>  *  The many huge clusters at Hollywood Movie studios, in Dream Works,
> Pixar, Disney Studios?  NASA, the CIA, the NSA, the DIA, the DOD,
> National Weather Service, NOAA, DOT, FAA  Army, Air Force, and Navy
> clusters in Simulation commands, Weather Predicting Commands.
>
>  *  The 677 municipalities of Germany that run GNU/Linux.  The entire
> infrastructure of Largo, Florida, with 650+ Linux workstations, 1400+
> employees, and emergency services and police online to the server, who
> rarely go 'surfing' on the web.
>
>  *  The 56,000 Red Flag Linux workstations and servers that run the
> infrastructure of Beijing, China?
>
>  *  The 400 GNU/Linux systems in Microsoft's Redmond Campus Linux Lab?
>
>  *  The government and commercial world of computing is huge, and,
> [...]

Right, the accounting method (hits on selected web sites) does not
count servers, where Linux has a big market share.  They count 0.8%
Linux, 6.6% Mac, about 90% Windows.  DFS obviously didn't read the
article, or he would have cited the low Linux figure (and he would
have liked the report better).  The article also says that although
Vista is showing large gains, Windows systems overall are down.  Very
interesting.  Also, the Mac gains are mostly due to Intel-based
machines, which are up sharply.

The Mac gains are more significant because they are high end
machines.  Mac doesn't sell and $600 loss leaders that have the
absolute minimum to run the OS (or maybe less than the minimum, when
it comes to Vista).