Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%), O/S Still Loathed

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt
<matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 03 Oct 2007 00:26:37 GMT
<1lBMi.17974$ya1.3114@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> Please give me some accurate figures.
>
> I am not an expert.  I was trying to get _you_ to do that.  :-)

OK.  7.38% uptake as of May, consistent with a 4.5 year
machine lifetime.  As of July 2011 Linux and Windows
XP will cease to exist (along with all other operating
systems such as VMS, Solaris, HP/UX, and QNX), though the
inevitable "doom date" may be rolled back a few months or
years depending on events to come.  For example, a nuclear
attack on Iran (or an Iranian nuclear attack on us) may set
things back a bit. :-)  However, never fear; the government
has a 45-day (or so) plan to get things back in order
should the unthinkable happen; can't disrupt business,
after all.  Therefore, that would be only a minor setback.

A far more devastating scenario might involve the collision
of an asteroid of 1 mile or so in diameter with our planet,
but presumably Windows will simply be set back by a year
or so in that scenario, with government help.

A "warp missile" attack causing the Sun to implode might
take a bit longer.  Keep an eye on Whoopi Goldberg in that
particular case.

The explosion of the Earth (either by internal core fusion,
a bomb placed therein, or external agencies such as a
Martian death ray) might be a problem.  Anyone seeing a
character with a spittoon/scrubbrush helmet is advised to
report him to authorities, specifically the Warner Brothers
Animation Department -- especially if he's carrying a
red cylinder (the technical term for this apparently is
"the Illudium 236 Explosive Space Modulator" or some such)
with a sparkling fuse (the technical term for *this* is
probably "earth-shattering kaboom").

But one can relax if a gray rabbit is following him, and
don't worry too much about the fur-collared dodo birds.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Error 16: Not enough space on file system to delete file(s)