Re: [News] MonoDevelop 1.0 Reaches Beta

  • Subject: Re: [News] MonoDevelop 1.0 Reaches Beta
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 03:59:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> The Mono Project: You Might Expect the Unexpected
[...]

.----
| Look at the wishlist which de Icaza mentioned in the interview - he
| wants a technical deal between Mono and .NET and wants Microsoft to
| recommend Mono to developers looking at migration. Sure. A company
| which is trying to push its own operating systems into every
| possible nook and corner, and facing some resistance from Linux, is
| definitely going to be inclined to recommend something that will
| take people away from its own O-S and help them move to one with
| which it is doing battle. Excellent logic there, Miguel!
|
| These crackpot arguments are exactly why I think there is something
| much more sinister in the Novell-Microsoft deal, something that is
| intimately connected with Mono. It is high time that the whole
| story was told.
`----

I don't know much about de Icaza's plans for world domination, but I do
question the prudence of mimicking anything that Microsoft does, given
their rather dubious technical accomplishments over the years, and their
reputation for shafting "partners".

Mono is undoubtedly a potential patent threat (the operative word being
"threat", since I doubt that Microsoft will ever do more than rattle
sabres as a coercive measure - their speciality), but moreover Mono is
a viral plague in the Linux ecosystem, introducing wholly unnecessary
Microsoft germs that will attack the very DNA of Linux, at the source.
The curse of proprietary drivers already threatens to turn Linux into
"just another Windows"; God only knows what kind of spaghetti-hoops Mono
will make of it. No thanks.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "OOXML is a superb standard"
| - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.

 03:56:49 up 55 days,  2:51,  2 users,  load average: 0.52, 0.21, 0.13