[News] Novell Slammed by Another Journalist for FUDding Linux

  • Subject: [News] Novell Slammed by Another Journalist for FUDding Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:12:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Novell uses Microsoft FUD to market itself

,----[ Quote ]
| That these claims also could be taken to mean that Novell is developing a
| non-standard Linux, one that is skewed only towards working with Windows,
| appears to have escaped Novell.
|
| In other words, Novell has an "in" with Microsoft which Red Hat does not;
| Utah and Redmond are in bed together and Red Hat is an intruder.

Also said to be lying:

Are sales pitches reality?

,----[ Quote ]
| Groklaw has unleashed a blogstorm against Novell, based on a sales pitch
| being used to push clients toward Novell’s SUSE Linux and away from Red Hat.
|
| [...]
|
| And just how serious an offense is a little white lie inserted into a sales
| pitch, anyway? Aren’t college coaches constantly tossing around such
| insinuations to get kids to sign with their schools? Isn’t that what
| marketing is all about? Isn’t that what political ads are all about?
|
| I think to a lot of people in the open source movement the answer to these
| last questions is no. Or rather, NO!
|
| Credibility is something you either have or you don’t have. It’s not
| something you can have in one department and not have in another. It’s
| something you earn, and must keep earning, every day, and something you can
| lose in a Mike Vick minute.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1484

Recent:

The Novell-Microsoft Wheeler Dealers Speak

,----[ Quote ]
| But the main takeaway, as they might put it, for me
| is that this is an anti-Red Hat deal, and Novell is thrilled about that.
| Justin Steinman reveals that to market their SUSE Linux Enterprise Server
| against Red Hat they ask, "Do you want the Linux that works with Windows? Or
| the one that doesn't?" It's just appalling. Let me ask you developers who are
| kernel guys a question: When you contributed code to the kernel, was it your
| intent that it be used against Red Hat? How about the rest of you developers?
| Is that all right with you, that your code is being marketed by Novell like
| that? I also have questions about antitrust issues, with Microsoft being
| Novell's partner in such deals and sales pitches. Nothing speaks louder about
| Microsoft's true determination never to be actually interoperable than this
| conference.

How much is Microsoft's patent protection worth?

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell has a duty to the community to sell its excellent open-source software
| for what it is: excellent open-source software. It should not (as it does -
| I've talked with its salespeople - and which it has gone on the record as
| noting that it does) use lame patent FUD and equally lame patent protection
| to sell that software. It does not need to. We don't expect better of
| Microsoft - it has been competing this way for decades. But we should expect
| and get more from one of our own.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9788106-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Microsoft’s virtualization hypervisor needs Red Hat support, too

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1415