[News] MSBBC, DRM, and Subtle Anti-Google Messages?

  • Subject: [News] MSBBC, DRM, and Subtle Anti-Google Messages?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 00:02:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The obstacles in a DRM-free world

,----[ Quote ]
| Existing DRM-free services like eMusic, or those with some non-DRM inventory
| like MusicNet and of course Apple, are out there but don't cover a lot of the
| artists I like and have nothing like the inventory you'd find in a decent
| record shop.

The BBC clearly does not take the advice of its own columnists.

Now watch this

Streaming future of internet TV

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/7017794.stm

"Illegal content" heading with a large YouTube logo right next to it. Buy
why??? Wouldn't Microsoft just love that? Microsoft has been pushing its
proxies and various companies to attack YouTube (Google).

Related:

BBC Corrupted

,----[ Quote ]
| Today the BBC made it official -- they have been corrupted by Microsoft. With
| today's launch of the iPlayer, the BBC Trust has failed in its most basic of
| duties and handed over to Microsoft sole control of the on-line distribution
| of BBC programming. From today, you will need to own a Microsoft operating
| system to view BBC programming on the web. This is akin to saying you must
| own a Sony TV set to watch BBC TV. And you must accept the Digital
| Restrictions Management (DRM) that the iPlayer imposes. You simply cannot be
| allowed to be in control of your computer according to the BBC.
`----

http://defectivebydesign.org/blog/BBCcorrupted

BBC plans to lock viewers into Microsoft monopoly says Open Source Consortium

,----[ Quote ]
| The Open Source Consortium (OSC) believes the plans are anti-competitive
| and will use public money to lock viewers into the technologies of
| a repeatedly convicted monopolist.
`----

http://www.publictechnology.net/article_avantgo.php?sid=7655

Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]
| BBC viewers have flooded the corporation with complaints over how it
| covered the launch of Microsoft Vista earlier this week.
|
| In one cringingly servile interview worthy of Uriah Heep, the
| Beeb's news presenter Hugh Edwards even thanked Gates at the
| end of it, presumably in appreciation at being allowed to give
| the Vole vast coverage for free.
|
| In other TV news items presenters excitedly explained how Vistac
| ould be obtained and installed - details courtesy of the BBC's
| website.
|
| But British viewers, currently forced to pay a £131.50 licence
| fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
|
| Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
| bum that you could barely see her corset.

http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias

Brits! Act now to save the BBC from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| The BBC are holding an open consultation regarding how they're
| going to delivery on-demand content, they want answers to
| questions like: "How important is it that the proposed seven-day
| catch-up service over the internet is available to consumers who
| are not using Microsoft software?"
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/01/31/brits_act_now_to_sav.html

Microsoft sets spinners on court verdict

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may have lost in court, but it quickly tried to win the war of
| media reaction via organisations like CompTIA, the Computing Technology
| Industry Association and ACT (the Association for Competitive Technology)
| which both intervened in court on its side.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/17/reaction_microsoft_verdict/

Explained: what does this mean for you?

,----[ Quote ]