[News] Larger Than Average Increase for the GNU GPLv3

  • Subject: [News] Larger Than Average Increase for the GNU GPLv3
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 05:30:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
GPL Project Watch List for Week of 10/19/07

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPL v3 Watch List is intended to give you a snapshot of the GPLv3/LGPLv3
| adoption for October 13th through October 19th, 2007.
|
| October World Series
|
| As of October 19th, 1pm PST, our database contained 898 GPL v3 projects, as
| compared to last weeks number on October 12th of 833 GPL v3 projects. This is
| a larger than average increase of 65 GPL v3 projects which puts us on the
| brink of 900 GPL v3 projects and closer to the important milestone of 1000
| GPL v3 projects.
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2007/10/gpl-project-watch-list-for-week-of.html

GPLv3 adoption on track, experts say

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end, for the FSF, the measure of the GPLv3's success will be, not how
| widely it used, but whether it can protect software freedom. "What does
| success mean?" Brown asks. "I think it's important not to set some arbitrary
| target about what success means. It's not a numbers game. It's about how do
| you get people to value the aims of GPLv3. Because if you don't value the
| freedoms of the GPL, then the question of GPLing isn't about freedom. It's a
| question of technical considerations."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119880

FSF to host online GPLv3 pow-wow

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux developers also have questions about the new anti-patent collusion
| language in GPLv3 and what it means to joint patent partnerships such as the
| one between Microsoft and Novell.

GPLv3: past the 5K mark, and going strong

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Or later – 4708 of 9082 projected – 52%
| 2. LGPLv3 – 30 of 723 projected – 4%
| 3. GPLv3 – 5100 of 13078 projected – 39%
| 4. GPL, not converted – 5086 projected (GPL projects times (100% - 72%
|    convert rate))
| 5. Non GPL license – 3722 projected (Active projects – (Active GPL projects +
|    not converted))
|
| All this in one month.
|

| So, what is the summary?
|
| Adoption and projects released under GPLv3 are as expected. The part that is
| often overlooked is the long standing impact of the "or later" clause,
| initially put into effect more than a decade ago as part of the language
| surrounding the GPLv2 License, or later, at the time and now, common among
| GPL licensed projects. This clause in effect guaranteed a wide
| spread "potential" of adoption of the license the day it was released.
`----

http://gpl3.blogspot.com/2007/08/gplv3-past-5k-mark-and-going-strong.html

Redmond On The Ropes

,----[ Quote ]
| You have my apology. It was necessary to use language in the following
| article that I don't usually use...in print. In private, a twenty-year Marine
| couldn't compete with me...but here, where kids come...you have my apology.
`----

http://blog.lobby4linux.com/index.php?/archives/245-Redmond-On-The-Ropes.html

GPLv3 report: 30% increase with Sugar on top

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, if you add in those projects licensed as "GPL v2 or LGPL v2.1 or
| later," then the total swells to 2,990. Not bad.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9751624-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

GPL3 to dominate LinuxWorld

,----[ Quote ]
| Bui-Friday believes that many companies will move to the new licence but only
| at a timely juncture. “It’s very rare that a software project will go through
| the trouble and expense of cutting a new version just for a new licence.
| Typically, what we’ve heard is that the next version they cut they will go
| [with GPL3],” she said.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/itweek/news/2195689/gpl3-dominate-linuxworld

Signal and Noise in GPLv3

| In an email to me last month, Linus Torvalds, who has been portrayed in the
| media as GPLv3's main opponent, describes the language that he and other use
| on the Linux kernel mailing list as "blunt, to the point, and not very
| polite." When journalists quote pieces of it, he notes, often "the context of
| that language is then lost entirely" -- and he adds that "it's not just the
| text of the thread itself that is the context; the context is also how
| technical people discussing things amongst each other is in itself a very
| different context than a trade magazine article."
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/article.php/3692201

Misleading InformationWeek GPLv3 article

,----[ Quote ]
| Linus's position is clear. He's repeatedly said that he'd use GPLv3 in
| certain situations if there was a practical advantage, but he prefers v2 over
| v3. That's fine. I prefer v3, but v2 is still a great licence.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/misleading_informationweek_gplv3_article

Why does Microsoft seem scared of GPLv3?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is extremely keen to avoid "legal debate" over whether its recent
| partnerships with Linux firms such as Novell, Xandros, and Linspire, mean
| Redmond must assume any of the new licenses' legal obligations.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Why-does-Microsoft-seem-scared-of-GPLv3-/0,130061733,339279673,00.htm

Microsoft disses GPLv3 (and rocketman Kirk)

,----[ Quote ]
| This is Thursday's IT Blogwatch: in which Microsoft squirms out of GPLv3's
| clutches, perhaps.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/5823

The Badger Game