Re: [News] [Rights] BBC's Linux iPlayer may only offer streaming

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 19 October 2007 20:21 : \____

> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> BBC Quietly Announces Linux/Mac iPlayer
>>
>> .----
>>|    Keir Thomas writes "When the BBC released its new iPlayer
>>| watch-on-demand service, there were many complaints about the fact
>>| it was Windows-only -- the equivalent of current BBC broadcasts
>>| only being watchable on, say, a Sony television. The good news is
>>| that the BBC has announced a Flash-based player for Linux and Mac
>>| due by the end of the year. (The announcement is buried half way
>>| down the page.) The bad news is that it will probably only offer
>>| streaming, and not the ability to download programs, like the
>>| Windows client has. Quote: 'It comes down to cost per person and
>>| reach at the end of the day.'"
>> `----
>>
>> http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/16/1958217
>>
>> The "cost" argument is bullshit. The BBC already uses RealPlayer
>> technology to provide media, and this already supports DRM (if they
>> absolutely /must/ use it), so why did the Beeb ever even approach MS to
>> begin with ... they already had /all/ the technology they needed?
>>
>> And even now ... rather than use the Real technology that is already
>> integrated at the BBC, they'd /still/ rather turn to Adobe for a
>> half-baked solution.
>>
>> It's just a series of excuses designed to favour their new "partner".
>>

> Because they're recruited some ex-Microsoft people, I would imagine.

Ask Microsoft's Douglas what's-his-surname why Microsoft corrupts the ISO with
OOXML. He'll just tell you that "it's simply a matter of Microsoft's
commercial (money) interests!" And yes... he actually said that in Malaysia,
IIRC. That's one of their most senior people.

Same applies here. The BBC is now built to milk money from people and
offer 'protection' to the convicted monopoly abuser.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Wintendo O/S: which virus do fancy today?