Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Windows 7 features ASCII bootloader (INNOVA~1)

____/ [H]omer on Friday 19 October 2007 13:15 : \____

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/10/19/smaller-footprint-windows

> Check out the vid here:
>
> http://www.istartedsomething.com/20071019/eric-talk-demo-windows-7-minwin/
>
> Traut proudly shows off something roughly equivalent to BusyBox, that
> "only" requires (brace yourself) ... 40MB. As Steveo Jobs might say
> "amazing!".
>
> And the quote that everyone took home and framed on their wall was:
>
> "A lot of people think of Windows as this really large, bloated
> operating system, and that's maybe a fair characterisation."
>
> Well Traut /is/ their Chief toner-monkey, so he aught to know.
>
> Other highlights include, a blast from the past with Microsoft "Bob",
> and the Windows 1.0 interface. Ah, it's clear now where Traut got his
> inspiration from for BusyBox ... ahem, I mean Windows 7. No, I mean
> MingMing, DingDing ... ah forget it.

It's hilarious. How about them finally incorporating a _first step_ in
functional CLIs by the time Server 2008 (aka Longhorn, aka next Vista-like
flop) is released? Also, they finally enable the server to run without a GUI,
but they stripped the top layer (working from the top to the bottom rather
than building it in a modular fashion from the ground upwards).

They keep insisting that they only go in this direction in order to please
*unix sysadmins.

It's science versus money-money-money MBAs, i.e. logic and patience versus
greed and deadlines.

No wonder Linux is winning (clearly so on the servers, mobile devices, and HPC)
and Microsoft resorts to SCO, Acacia, and other form of FUD from a sweaty
lizard.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: just set it and forget about it