[News] Linux FUD Hurts Microsoft, Patents Hurt Innovation

  • Subject: [News] Linux FUD Hurts Microsoft, Patents Hurt Innovation
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 09:25:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft needs to lay off the Linux FUD

,----[ Quote ]
| It is almost a year since Microsoft struck its controversial intellectual
| property deal with Novell, and almost five months since the company claimed
| that various pieces of unspecified open source software are chock-full of
| Microsoft patent infringements, but when it comes down to the question of
| exactly what IP Microsoft is talking about, we are still none the wiser.
|
| [..]
|
| Without any kind of substantive claims to back up these statements, this is
| pretty much the dictionary definition of FUD. Fear, uncertainty and doubt.
|
| The same kind of blathering that drove The SCO Group into the ground.
`----

http://cbr.co.za/news.aspx?pklNewsId=26793&pklCategoryID=385

Thoughts on invention, innovation, and patents from 'Guns, Germs, and Steel'

,----[ Quote ]
| Whether or not hardware patents in the past have encouraged invention, it
| seems clear that software patents today are harming innovation and progress.
| Obvious and overly broad patents are being used to either prevent competition
| or as a way for patent trolls that produce nothing valuable to extract rents
| from companies that do. Maddeningly, they're not even needed for their stated
| purpose. Progress in the software arts does not depend on granting such an
| extreme form of intellectual monopoly. Let's throw the damn things out.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/blogs/thoughts_innovations_and_patents

Related:

Critic of Software Patents Wins Nobel Prize in Economics

.----[ Quote ]
`----

http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdotYourRightsOnline/~3/170631743/article.pl