Re: Ex-Linspire chief defects to Ubuntu

____/ Darth Chaos on Thursday 18 October 2007 03:18 : \____

> On Oct 17, 5:47 pm, "[H]omer" <s...@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Ballmer's pet monkey escapes:
>>
>> .----
>> | Former Linspire CEO Kevin Carmony has shown all the loyalty of a
>> | free agent athlete. Just a few months after resigning from
>> | Linspire, Carmony has traded in his old company's Linux operating
>> | system for Ubuntu.
>> |
>> | Carmony, who seems awfully keen to get a job at Ubuntu's parent
>> | company Canonical, made his OS reveal on an Ubuntu message board.
>> |
>> | [Quote]
>> |     Now that I'm no longer the CEO of Linspire, or under any
>> | obligation to use that particular distribution, I thought I should
>> | take some time and look around at all the distributions and decide
>> | which one was right for me and my PC. In addition to already being
>> | quite familiar with Linspire and Freespire, I also looked at
>> | Novell/Suse, Red Hat/Fedora, PC Linux, Ubuntu, and Kubuntu.
>> |
>> |     Well, after all my research, I have to tell you, it was an easy
>> | choice. Ubuntu! I'm excited for the new release in a few days,
>> | which I will use to replace the many Linux desktop and laptop PCs I
>> | own (five).
>> | [/Quote]
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | As for Linspire? Well, it released Linspire 6.0 last week to little
>> | fanfare.
>> |
>> | The OS maker has lost a bit of street cred with the open source
>> | software faithful after signing a partnership agreement with
>> | Microsoft.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/17/carmony_goes_ubuntu_mitt_next/
>>
>> I wonder if Carmony will try to sell-out Ubuntu too? They should beware.
>>
>> --
>> K.http://slated.org
>>
>> .----
>> | "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
>> |  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
>> |  -http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html
>> `----
>>
>> Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) on sky, running kernel 2.6.22.1-41.fc7
>>  22:45:55 up 69 days, 21:40,  1 user,  load average: 0.09, 0.17, 0.17
>
> If I were Mark Shuttleworth, I'd specifically tell Carmony "No way in
> hell will you ever get a job with Ubuntu, even as a janitor".

Tomorrow GPLv3 is Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr. Carmony asked a question, will Linux split in two factions? The answer
| is no. Some Linux distros will limp along a while and then die off,
| because they misunderstood what folks want when they choose GNU/Linux
| and FOSS. You can see that already. Red Hat, which refused to sign any
| such deal, is flourishing, for example. It's not about code that "just
| works". Apple offers that already. It's the freedom. And we've proven
| willing to put up with some temporary frustration in order to get it.
| In time, FOSS will win, and all those proprietary codecs and everything
| else will be made available on pleasanter terms, because market share
| does that.

Linspire deal: What will ESR and Shuttleworth do now?

,----[ Quote ]
| Will Shuttleworth continue to collaborate with a company which has now
| caved in to a protection racket? Or will he do stick to the principle
| behind the whole FOSS movement and walk away from the deal? We're watching
| and waiting, Mark.

Linspire Announces Availability of Open XML Translator for Linspire, Freespire

,----[ Quote ]
| Linspire, Inc., developer of the Linspire commercial and Freespire community
| desktop Linux operating systems, today announced the immediate availability
| of the Open XML Translator within their latest released Freespire and
| Linspire products.
`----

http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-07-11-010-26-NW-DT-MS

And let's not forget that Linspire took Microsoft money and then echoed
Microsoft's Linux slander.

Shame on Carmony. He should really have a career change and hide in a cave
after what he did.

Steve Ballmer is even monkier than his moniker suggests
Tasks: 130 total,   1 running, 127 sleeping,   0 stopped,   2 zombie