Re: [News] [Security] Spam Hits 95% of All Email!

____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 17 October 2007 18:51 : \____

> Thank you Windows botnets:
>
> .----
> |    An anonymous reader writes "Commtouch released its Email Threats
> | Trend Report based on the automated analysis of billions of email
> | messages weekly. The report examines the appearance of new kinds of
> | attachment spam such as PDF spam and Excel spam together with the
> | decline of image spam, as well as the growing threat of innocent
> | appearing spam containing links to malicious web sites. Image spam
> | declined to a level of less than 5% of all spam, down from 30% in
> | the first quarter of 2007; also, image pump-and-dump spam has all
> | but disappeared, with pornographic images taking its place."
> `----
>
> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/17/1226248
>
> So spam is not only increasing, but it's becoming more debase.
>
> Wonderful.
>
> I'm still waiting for Pearly's promise of "eradicating all spam". People
> often ask GNU/Linux users what they think Microsoft "owes" them, well
> here's one thing ... the solution to the spam problem that /Microsoft/
> caused with its Swiss Cheese OS.

it's 98% or 99% in HotmailLand, which is why filters there silently kill  (to
avoid washback) a huge proportion of the legitimate mail and render E-mail
useless.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"
Cpu(s): 28.3%us,  4.9%sy,  1.0%ni, 62.7%id,  2.7%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.1%si,  0.0%st