[News] New Linux Kernel Benchmark, Benefits Found

  • Subject: [News] New Linux Kernel Benchmark, Benefits Found
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:36:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux 2.6.23 Kernel Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux 2.6.23 kernel has been released today and we have some preliminary
| benchmarks of the 2.6.23 kernel as we compare it to the past Linux 2.6.22
| kernel. We will have more on the Linux 2.6.23 kernel once we have tested it
| more extensively, but the benchmarks we have ran so far include Quake 4, LAME
| encoding, Gzip compression, and RAMspeed.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=872&num=1

Linux Kernel Gets 'Fair'

,----[ Quote ]
| The 2.6.24 kernel is expected to include a number of networking related
| enhancements that will expand functionality and improve performance.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3704396

Linux Kernel 2.6.23 = Win for Xen and KVM and a loss for VMware

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware Server users on the other hand are getting the proverbial shaft.
| Kernel 2.6.23 has one MAJOR change and one minor change that completely break
| VMware Server.
`----

http://servervirtualization.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/10/10/linux-kernel-2623-win-for-xen-and-kvm-and-a-loss-for-vmware

Good for open source hypervisors and bad for proprietary software.

Related:

CFS scheduler to appear in Linux kernel 2.6.23

,----[ Quote ]
| And also credit where credit's due, Con Kolivas was the first one to
| prove via RSDL/SD that 'fair scheduling' is possible and that it
| results in better desktop scheduling.
`----

http://www.linuxinsight.com/cfs-scheduler-to-appear-in-linux-kernel-2.6.23.html

Linux: Linus On CFS vs SD

,----[ Quote ]
| "People who think SD was 'perfect' were simply ignoring reality," Linus
| Torvalds began in a succinct explanation as to why he chose the CFS scheduler
| written by Ingo Molnar instead of the SD scheduler written by Con Kolivas.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/14008

CFS scheduler v20 for v2.6.22.5, v2.6.21.7 and v2.6.20.16

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://lkmltimes.brucalipto.org/news/cfs-scheduler-v20-for-v26225-v26217-and-v262016/