[News] Open Source Software Pays Off (Like Illegal Monopolies, But Without All the Fraud)

  • Subject: [News] Open Source Software Pays Off (Like Illegal Monopolies, But Without All the Fraud)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 12:57:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Demise of Traditional Software - 3Q07

,----[ Quote ]
| WebSphere Branded Middleware Quarterly Revenue Growth:
|
| Quarter       Y/Y Qtr Growth  From:
| 1Q04          24%             Source
| 2Q04          N/A             Source
| 3Q04          14%             Source
| 4Q04          18%             Source
| 1Q05          11%             Source
| 2Q05          18%             Source
| 3Q05          14%             Source
| 4Q05          4%              Source
| 1Q06          26%             Source
| 2Q06          17%             Source
| 3Q06          30%             Source
| 4Q06          22%             Source
| 1Q07          14%             Source
| 2Q07          28%             Source
| 3Q07          10%             Source
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/10/the_demise_of_t.html?source=rss

Intel profit jumps 43 percent on strong mobile chip demand

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel Corp., the world's biggest computer chip maker, said Tuesday strong
| demand for mobile technology pushed up its third-quarter net profit 43
| percent from a year ago to 1.9 billion dollars.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071016/bs_afp/uscompanyearningsitintel

Crime money (monopoly abuse, as shown below).

Cisco offices raided, executives arrested in Brazil: reports

,----[ Quote ]
| $830 million in tax evasion alleged
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/101607-cisco-brazil-arrests.html

Criminals in suits, as usual. Microsoft is no exception.

Related:

Ecuador Tax Agency Closes Microsoft Branch Offices For 7 Days

,----[ Quote ]
| "We have twice requested balances, payment reports and complete tax
| information, but the company hasn't given it to us, so in accordance with our
| laws we have proceeded with the closure," the SRI official in charge of the
| proceeding said.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200710041610DOWJONESDJONLINE000810_FORTUNE5.htm

Microsoft Office raid in Hungary

,----[ Quote ]
| "Such behavior could lead to the exclusion of competitive products from
| the market and violate European Union rules, according to the authority
| known as the GVH."
`----

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/07/26/ap3957835.html

Microsoft's past stock options practice poses questions

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft in 1999 announced that it would end a policy of awarding
| options at monthly lows and said it would take a $217 million charge,
| though many details of that discontinued practice haven't been widely
| known, The Wall Street Journal said Friday.
|
| Those details raise questions about how Microsoft began the practice,
| what prompted the company to end it and whether the way the options
| were dated--at 30-day lows the month after they were
| granted--influenced other companies, it said.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6084617.html

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is folding its two worst-performing divisions -- Microsoft
| Business Solutions (its business applications unit) and its Mobile and
| Embedded units -- into the Microsoft Business Division and Microsoft Home
| and Entertainment units, respectively.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1990243,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

The Fight for Fair and Open Competition

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD is an undisputed technology and innovation leader.
|
| However, Intel's abusive, illegal monopolistic behavior is preventing
| businesses and consumers alike from choosing freely between AMD and Intel
| products.
`----

http://breakfree.amd.com/en-us/antitrust.aspx

EC says Intel influenced bids for computer projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The third type of allegation, however, was new, and sounded like a variety of
| predatory pricing. “In the context of bids against AMD-based products for
| strategic customers in the server segment of the market,” the commission
| press release said, “Intel has offered CPUs on average below cost.”
`----

http://legalpad.blogs.fortune.com/2007/08/03/ec-says-intel-influenced-bids-for-computer-projects/

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

AMD chief condemns Intel 'abuses'

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, after the Japan Fair Trade Commission found Intel guilty of
| offering illegal rebates to Japanese PC makers, AMD filed an anti-trust
| suit against its competitor in the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The
| case has not been decided.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/amd_ceo_condemns_intel_abuses/

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Video: Henri Richard comes out swinging at Intel during AMD press conference

,----[ Quote ]
| [AMD's Henri Richard:] "I am sick and tired of being pushed around
| by a competitor that doesn't respect the rules of fair and open
| competition."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=363

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Journalists on the title said Lenovo is being paid a "pretty
| penny" from Intel to use its chips.

| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]
| Chairman Craig Barrett, CEO Paul Otellini and sales chief Sean Maloney
| have appeared on a list of Intel employees thought to have deleted
| e-mails possibly relevant to AMD's anti-trust lawsuit against its
| larger rival. The missing e-mails have thrust a livid state of mind
| onto AMD's lawyers who have very serious problems with Intel's
| rather lax document retention policy.
|
| [...]
|
| CEO Otellini appears to have been one of these troublesome employees.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/

Micron Opening Lobbying Office in DC

,----[ Quote ]