Re: [News] Linux Package Management Beats Windows

[H]omer wrote:

> Verily I say unto thee, that Attila spake thusly:
>
>> A highly inaccurate or at best misleading article about Gnu/Linux. It
>>  seems too many people equate Ubuntu with Gnu/Linux and that what is
>> the "Ubuntu way" is commonly regarded as the Gnu/Linux way. In
>> talking about installing new soft ware Mathew Newton says,
>
> Addressing the author:
>
> Well IME it is also the Debian way, the Fedora way, the ELive way, the
> Mandriva way, the PCLinuxOS way, the DSL way, the Puppy Linux way, the
> Centos way, the BLAG way, and the Slackware way. Of course those are
> only the ones I have first-hand experience with, but I'm sure there are
> others. In fact other than Gentoo and LFS, I'm not aware of many disto's
> that do "it" any /other/ way. Did he have a particular one in mind?
>
>> "For example, I was perfectly happy using Rhythmbox 0.9.3.1 to manage
>>  and listen to my digital music and had been quite content with what
>> it offered. Although it wasn't a bad tool, when version 0.9 came out
>> there were new features in it that I desired. In essence, I wanted
>> it.
>
> Is this a bit like "wanting" new features in proprietary applications,
> that he wait years and years for, but they never come, or if they do
> finally surface, the vendor has bumped the version in order to justify
> charging him for an upgrade? Is that the kind of "want" he was talking
> about?
>
>> My package manager knew of only version 0.9.3.1, which had been
>> tested and crafted by a ‘package maintainer' at the Ubuntu project to
>> work fantastically on Ubuntu 6.06. In other words, 0.9.3.1 was the
>> only version of Rhythmbox Ubuntu 6.06 officially supported, so it was
>> the only version I could grab via the package manager with
>> point-and-click ease." .... "Compiling apps can drive a Linux newbie
>> to madness.
>
> Right, because if he were using proprietary "apps" on Windows, he'd just
> have to sit there possibly for years before getting the updated features
> he apparently crave so badly, whereas on GNU/Linux it's either that ...
> or for the more adventurous - yes he /can/ download source packages and
> compile it himself. Pity he doesn't have that option with proprietary
> software under Windows, but that's life, isn't it ... full of choices?
> Assuming he has the capacity to /make/ choices.
>
>> Unless you're prepared to go down this route we strongly advise you
>> have a little patience and wait for an update."
>
> But he'd have the patience to "wait" for an update from a proprietary
> software vendor, right? Sorry, but I missed the part where that is
> somehow a benefit WRT proprietary software, but not Free Software.
>
>> All in all, I'd say a very poor article and not one likely to
>> encourage people to use Gnu/Linux; in fact in seems to confirm many
>> of the false ideas about Gnu/Linux currently circulating. To me
>> Gnu/Linux is about doing things your way, not M$'s way or Ubuntu's
> [...]
Hi [H]omer,
Your reply confused me. Of the quotes you give only the 1st is mine. The
others are from the article that Roy cited. In any event we appear to agree
in spite of appearances. Regarding the "Ubuntu way", you may want to read
the Ubuntu NG and there is a definite slant in that direction (by no means
unanimous). For example, if a discussion starts about the -dev packages
required for compiling something, a respons would be "why do you want to
compile when you can just install the package". Attempting to diss Skype on
the Ubuntu NG will get you flamed, etc. I am happy that Ubuntu exists but
they do seem to have an attitude problem that is not general in the Linux
world. This is not surprising coming from a group that uses "Linux for
Humans" as its slogan.

Anyway, FWIW, I agree with your other comments.
Cheers,
Att